Pete asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

Can Pigeon Crap be used to fertilize my Veggie Garden?

Living in Arizona we have an abundance of pigeon **** all over. The side of my house they tend to have diarrhea so I am wondering if I can scoop it up and throw it in my garden as fertilizer.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Any sort of bird excrement is very high in nitrogen. The urea in it will burn the crap out of plants if it isn't well composted first,

• 1 decade ago

It is a very rich fertilizer so you might want to compost. To remove any disease hazard, don't use it on any type of vegetable you might eat raw, like lettuce or carrots, use on flowers or vegetables you always cook like corn, beans, potatoes...

Too much fresh manure can burn a plant so use sparingly in any one area.

Source(s): "gardens for beginners" http://www.geocities.com/mastergardener2k
  • 1 decade ago

Pigeon crap is to high in salts. The valley of the sun's soil already has to much salt.

• 1 decade ago

You would want to compost it for a while first - might burn the roots of the plants if put on "fresh."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Carl
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I think you can use it. People use chicken poo and that is a bird too.

Bird poo is very strong. So just remember that the pigeon poo is some strong sh___.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not sure if you can, but I wouldn't suggest it as pidgeons have many nasty diseases. I wouldn't want to take the chance of it being passed through my food into me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.