Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Which parts of the bible are relvant now, and which parts only apply to "back in that time" ?

For reference:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aj7wA...

so many rules to choose from.....

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Seriously the answer is all and none. What I mean by that is there are many warnings in the bible that it can be difficult to understand and that it takes effort along with God's help to understand it. I'll give you an example of what I am referring to from a question I asked several weeks ago.

Proverbs 24:13

My son, eat thou honey, because it is good; and the honeycomb, which is sweet to thy taste:

Proverbs 25:27

It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory.

Either of these first two texts taken by themselves seem to make a clear statement. Together they seem contradictory.

Proverbs 25:16

Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.

When you add the 3rd, it puts the first 2 in perspective.

I would say that everything is relevant now. Some parts are for our understanding of the Bible - context and culture of the day. Some examples: how to build the tabernacle (in Exodus and Leviticus) and stories of the kings of Israel (in 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, etc).

A lot of the Bible is still very relevant for our lives today. Some examples: the story of Creation (in Genesis), story of Jesus (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Isaiah), and prophecies (Daniel and Revelation). These are still important for us to study.

How do we know the difference? Study of the Bible. Some of it is just logic - we don't need a tabernacle to the specifications in the Old Testament because its use was made "obsolete" when Jesus died on the cross.

Hebrews 4:12 says "the word of God is alive...".

You can read numerous verses as proof that the Bible is still applicable today, but one that stands out is 2 Timothy 3:1-5 "But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blashpemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal..."

-Regardless of where you live in the world today, you can see this Scripture being fulfilled.

A lover of God sees the Bible as a guideline to a happy life. 1 John 5:3 says "For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments and yet his commandments are not burdensome."

I dont follow the Bible, but the way i see it is, that the Bible is '' Gods words'' so how can any of Gods words become old? because he is ALL knowing, so when he told people what to write in the bible it would have ALL been ture and what he ment! and if some of the rules become old then he would have said that they are going to be old in 2000 year or whatever, :S as he knows whats going to happen

SO i think that you either follow the HOLE book or you dont.

But i dont believe any of it .. thats just what i think

• Oracle

All of the Bible always was and will always be relevent. It is an amazing, interwoven, self interpretive, prophetic guide book for the human race, used to lead those who choose to open their hearts and follow its instruction all the way into Heaven and to the very face of God.

• The Bible was written in 3 levels of understanding. I'll leave it at that.

the whole Bible is relevant for all time. there are examples of, and instructions on, how to and how not to live. there are also prophesies of what is to come. the Bible is to be used as a whole, not in bits and pieces.

All of it was relevant at that time, none of it now, at least until the fundamentalist tell us otherwise and I think the rest of us would have something to say about that.

Whichever parts the Christians don't like are not relevant.

the bible was never truly revelant, its the way a person lives that is