Books on nuclear holocausts?

What are some books about nuclear holocausts? I can't seem to find some. If possible, I would like something like a summary about it. Thank you!

I already know about "Alas, Babylon" and "On the Beach". This is for an english assignment but I am having a hard time.

Favorite Answer

_The Road_ by Cormac McCarthy

First paragraph: "When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him. Nights dark beyond darkness and the days more gray each one than what had gone before. Like the onset of some cold glaucoma dimming away the world. His hand rose and fell softly with each precious breath. He pushed away the plastic tarpaulin and raised himself in the stinking robes and blankets and looked toward the east for any light but there was none. In the dream from which he'd wakened he had wandered in a cave where the child led him by the hand. Their light playing over the wet flowstone walls. Like pilgrims in a fable swallowed up and lost among the inward parts of some granitic beast. Deep stone flues where the water dripped and sang. Tolling in the silence the minutes of the earth and the hours and the days of it and the years without cease. Until they stood in a great stone room where lay a black and ancient lake. And on the far shore a creature that raised its dripping mouth from the rimstone pool and stared into the light with eyes dead white and sightless as the eggs of spiders. It swung its head low over the water as if to take the scent of what it could not see. Crouching there pale and naked and translucent, its alabaster bones cast up in shadow on the rocks behind it. Its bowels, its beating heart. The brain that pulsed in a dull glass bell. It swung its head from side to side and then gave out a low moan and turned and lurched away and loped soundlessly into the dark."

_A Canticle for Leibowitz_ by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

First paragraph: "Brother Francis Gerard of Utah might never have discovered the blessed documents, had it not been for the pilgrim with girded loins who appeared during that young novice's Lenten fast in the desert."

_Riddley Walker_ by Russell Hoban

First paragraph: "On my naming day when I come 12 I gone front spear and kilt a wyld boar he parbly ben the las wyld pig on the Bundel Downs any how there hadnt ben none for a long time befor him nor I aint looking to see none agen. He dint make the groun shake nor nothing like that when he come on to my spear he wernt all that big plus he lookit poorly. He done the reqwyrt he ternt and stood and clattert his teef and made his rush and there we wer then. Him on 1 end of the spear kicking his life out and me on the other end watching him dy. I said, 'Your tern now my tern later.' The other spears gone in then and he wer dead and the steam coming up off him in the rain and we all yelt, 'Offert!'"

_The Chalk Giants_ by Keith Roberts

First paragraph: "The patrol car is moving again, edging up past the stalled south-bound traffic. Its loudhailer is working; the words come crackling and flat, distorted by the heat of Salisbury Plain in August."

All four are excellent novels contending with the struggle to live, endure, and rebuild after a nuclear holocaust. _The Road_ and _Riddley Walker_ are well represented by their excerpts, but not much of an impression is made for _A Canticle for Leibowitz_ and _The Chalk Giants_. All the same, I heartily recommend all four novels.

I believe what one person referred to as The Swan was actually Swan's Song by Robert Mccammon*. Other suggestions were good. Also, Lord of the rings.

Look at the site below for a very comprehensive site, though not all the books refer to nuclear holocausts.

there is an previous action picture (dvd) observed as THE DAY and then exhibits the tale from the view of one guy (a doctor) who reviews very life like nuclear conflict interior the U. S.. an incredible action picture. See how the survivors attempt to administration with out government and the cities in ruins. As for a destiny species, interior the thousands and thousands of years for evolution to enhance a clean sensible existence (if ever) guy's works might all have some time past been decreased to dirt.

The book that became Blade Runner, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick.

Get, and read the book "Hiroshima". It's real life, and from a first hand account of our first efforts with that type of bomb. Trust me, you never want to experience anything like that in real life. Your best place to be if that ever happens is at ground zero. In a literal flash you'll be gone and feel nothing at all.

Dr Bloodmoney by Philip K Dick

The Swan by Stephen King was an awesome read!!