promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOlympics · 1 decade ago

What are some reasons why the U.S. should boycott the 2008 Olympics in China?

Do you have any legittt reasons why the 2008 olympics should be boycotted because it's in China?

If you have an answer: elaborate, please.

thanks.

Update:

I really don't know what my opinion is on the subject is yet.. I just want to hear remarks from both sides.

So please, only anwer if you believe we SHOULD boycott.

Thanksssss

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zYResAaII8

Youtube thumbnail

look at this and see what china does to tibetian THEY LIED AND THEY ARE KLLING THEESE PEOPLE WHO PROTEST PEACFULLY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKkgTSsyHV0

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

recently group of chineese student beat up a group of korean and tibetian people who were peacfully protesting http://flvs.daum.net/flvPlayer.swf?vid=vs6MmjiuohI...

top ten reasons why we should boycott

10 Repression of religious groups like the Falun Gong (freedom of religion is an important human right)

9 censorship & imprisonment of journalists, cyber-dissidents and press freedom activists (how can there be justice in a state without watch dogs free to speak out)

8 child, prison & sweatshop labour (we wonder how we can buy stuff so cheaply)

7 slaughter of endangered species & government sponsored slaughter of domesticated animals (time's running out for several endangered species)

6 ongoing human rights violations use of the death penalty (maybe we can re-use this one to address future bids by the USA)

5 catastrophic pollution (16 of the world’s top 20 most polluted cities are in China)

4 defective and dangerous products (if price is the bottom line ... but maybe consumers are rethinking that)

3 cultural genocide in Tibet (There's been a call on a general boycott of China for it's actions in Tibet since 2002)

2 genocide in Darfur over Oil (it's already come up this year in France's presidential elections)

1 Support for the Burma regime (who else is there who can quickly pressure the Burmese military to stop the persecution of their people?)

http://www.boycott-china-2008.info/thm_0001.html

some links)

another ten reasons

1) Human rights are practically non-existent in Communist China

Religious persecution, imprisonment and murder of non-violent political dissidents, torture,

organ harvesting and sentences to hard labour are widespread.

2) The lack of freedom of the press and safety risks for foreign reporters

Many foreign websites are banned from being visited within China, foreign reporters are

prohibited from interviewing anyone without previous permission from the government, and

the content of all broadcasting is severely restricted. Foreign news media reporters have

been arrested and sentenced to prison under vague and wide-reaching security laws.

3) The 1980 Olympic Games in Communist Russia were boycotted by 64 states,

under the leadership of the U.S.

Beijing is not any different from Moscow in 1980, which was also the capital of a

Communist police state.

4) Communist China constantly threatens to attack Taiwan

China's government passed a law that explicitly calls for military intervention in response to

any intention by the democratic government of Taiwan to declare independence. Military

manoeuvres indicate that the Communists' military is preparing to enforce this law.

5) Beijing has the most polluted air in the world

Studies and satellites photos have proven that Beijing suffers from extremely high nitrogen

dioxide levels, vitally dangerous to the health of the athletes.

6) China is plagued by widespread social, political, and economic unrest

A surge in huge land grabs and forced evictions by the Chinese government for reasons of

economic expansion and Olympic Games preparations have sparked thousands of protests.

The government has murdered hundreds of protesters.

7) The Chinese have been bribing and threatening large numbers of members of the

International Olympic Committee

A number of U.S. Representatives, for example, Congressman Tom Lantos, have stated this

on national television.

8) A boycott has some potential to serve as a strategy to encourage human rights in

China

Only the greedy and foolish global elite think this is true the other way around.

9) Holding the Olympic Games in Communist China contradicts the Olympic

Charter

The Olympic Charter defines the philosophy of Olympism as the "respect for universal

fundamental ethical principles" and its goal of promoting "a peaceful society concerned with

the preservation of human dignity."

10) Don't repeat the errors of 1936 when Nazi Germany was allowed to host the

Olympic Games

The Olympic Games will give Communist China the same propaganda tool Nazi Germany

enjoyed. Not since 1936 have the ideals of Olympics been so trampled upon.

this is such a shame isnt olympic suppose to be a event that brings world toghther look at what the chineese govermeant is doing **** THEM

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Whether US should boycott the Beijing Olympics is an issue for the US Olympic Committee to decide. And I do not think this is in their agenda for discussion. Why should they. They were at the top of the leather board last Olympic. It they boycott and pull out, China will definitely occupy the top position. I don't think this will sit well with the average US person. It is only the media and those who think that the world is too peaceful see the Olympic as an opportunity for them to create problem by shouting "boycott" withoud knowing or caring for the consequence.

• 1 decade ago

There is absolutely no single reason why the US should boycott the Olympics. If they wish even to consider, this is an issue for the US Olympic Committee to decide. And I do not think this is in their agenda for discussion. Why should they. They were at the top of the leather board last Olympic. It they boycotted and pull out, China will definitely occupy the top position. I don't think this will sit well with the average US person. You know, US wants to be the top in everything. How can they allow this to happen.

• 1 decade ago

I cannot find a single reason why we should boycott 2008 Olympics.

Will you boycott Olympics if it is the last year Olympics will be held ?

For many athletes, they train so hard in their lives for the game. This year may be the only chance that they can go.

If you want to get some political advantages, please seek for it somewhere else. Please do not ruin the spirit of Olympics.

One World, One dream -- no countries, no races, no religions, no heaven and no hell --- try your best to participate, enjoy the game.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Olympics should not be boycotted, that's a stupid idea! Who wants to piss off the Chinese, plus, the Olympics is like the only event that brings the whole world together, except certain communist jackasses...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Boycotting the Olympics sucks for all the athletes that have worked their whole lives up to this point to get to this point. I would hate to see it go down like that for them. I don't think the US will boycott the Bejing Games.

• 1 decade ago

China will also hold World Cup in the future. If someone want to botcott the World Cup. All football fans will boycott them.

• 1 decade ago

There are no good reasons to boycott. Boycotting will NOT achieve any results.

• 1 decade ago

No I don't.

Here's my rebuttal for I don't have a name's hateful rant:

Tibetan riots:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/03/20/tibet....

These shots are not peaceful

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&...

10. Why Falun Gong is banned?

100 Cases of suicides; mental disability; manipulation that healing is better than medicine.

http://www.mingjing.org.cn/e-falun/compilation/com...

9. They are jailed for being a traitor. NED---one of the prominent members of the American CIA funded the Chinese Democracy movement

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&...

8. This is not China's fault but rather Western fault. If your products want to be cheap: this is what you see.

Nike uses sweatshops for their business

7. If you are accusing China of animal rights; they go other US for their poachers and Japan for cutting the fins of dolphin.

6 I see no reason of taking another life if they took another. Including Falun Gong and pedophiles.

5 This is not pollution but rather nature.

4 80% of the Chinese products are safe. If you think China is the only country that has problems with products: check out America's meats and E. Coli in vegetables.

3. It's not even genoicide.

Here's a UCLA professor take on it: http://www.international.ucla.edu/article.asp?pare...

And BTW "According to Tseten Samdup, a former communications officer for the Office of Tibet, UK and currently co-editor of World Tibet Network News, ” Sir Charles Bell, a British scholar and diplomat to Tibet, who wrote a number of authoritative books on Tibet, estimated the Tibetan population to be at 4 - 5 million in 1930s.” However, before the Chinese take-over in 1949, there are only 2.5 - 2.7 millions Tibetans as we mentioned above. So who killed nearly 1.5 - 2.5 million Tibetans? Who was conducting genocide to the Tibetans? I think the answer is pretty clear - Dalai Lama!"

2 Not a genocide. A civil war between Sudan and Chad over Darfur. If Westerners want Darfur so much...why don't you bring your troops right in Darfur and fight the Janjaweed. It's is a complete diversion of the genocide in Israel against Palestine. Westerners are Arab-racists.

1 Burma. China owns 10% of the oil refinery maybe the 90% who owns the oil--hint hint US/UK can liberate Burma.

http://fairuse.100webcustomers.com/fairenough/lati...

==4) Communist China constantly threatens to attack Taiwan

China's government passed a law that explicitly calls for military intervention in response to

any intention by the democratic government of Taiwan to declare independence. Military

manoeuvres indicate that the Communists' military is preparing to enforce this law.==

If they are threatening Taiwan: Why is Hu Jintao talking the Taiwanese Vice-president:

http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=143543

==7) The Chinese have been bribing and threatening large numbers of members of the

International Olympic Committee

A number of U.S. Representatives, for example, Congressman Tom Lantos, have stated this

on national television.==

Another stupid peice of crap lie.

This is manipulated by the Western media that they can't even bare China winning the bid without any controvesy not like Salt Lake City; Atlanta; and British Olympics.

==Don't repeat the errors of 1936 when Nazi Germany was allowed to host the

Olympic Games

The Olympic Games will give Communist China the same propaganda tool Nazi Germany

enjoyed. Not since 1936 have the ideals of Olympics been so trampled upon.==

Very common for Anti-China bashers. A Godwin's Law is applied here.

Nazi was to show how their Aryan-race is the best and never showed their economic powers.

China is showing their economic powers and IS NOT showing Chinese [Han] is superior than the other.

• 1 decade ago

I still believe that we should not mix politic with sport in the first place.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.