Would you say that you Hope For the Best....But Plan for The Worst?

Best Answer

There is nothing wrong with being prepared for anything. This maybe a extra long answer but I hope those who read it will get the idea and set themselvess up prepared for any kind of diaster geared to the kind you can have in your area. We lived in the San Fernado Valley very close to Northridge where the 1994 earthquake hit. The house we were renting was damaged bad enough that FEMA told us we had to leave. As far as personal property lost, one juice glass (my fault I opened the cabinet door to wide with out looking to see if any thing had shifted), and one blown glass apple. When the FEMA officer came to the house he was flat amazed. The house dropped off the foundation on one end and the kitchen wall was split horozonialy with the split wide enough about two inches you could look out into the back yard. When he got through he went back throught the rooms looking to see how we were prepared. All of our furniture execpt the couch, two chairs and the bed was anchored. The dining room area was not used as a dining room, but instead had a huge roll top desk and a couple file cabinets they were anchored. Our washer, dryer, stove, fridge, hot water tank were all anchored. The cabinets had locks on them every nick-nack and collectable, vases anything out on display was secured with Quake-putty. We were told we should be giving lessons. In the garage we have 5 large barrels. One was winter, and summer clothes tennis shoes and a hard soled pair of shoes. There were blankets and our extra pillows. Toliet paper, some handi wipes and paper towels. To make that stuff smaller to store pull the core out. Soaps including a vacuumed sealed bag of laundry soap. The second barrel had a medical kit, it had everything you could possibly need if there were injuries. This included sterile and double vacuum sealed, sutures, sterile dressings, several different types of bandages, burn treatment kit, slings, a cane, Canadian crutches, add water cast binding. well lets say about the only thing we couldn't do was surgery. In this was also a book on caring for injuries, delivery of a baby, and many thing I prayed I would never have to do. We also had rolls of exrta large, large, kitchen, and trash can sized plastic bags. We had kitchen storage bags from sandwich to gallon. Water purifier, markers, instant freeze ice packs. Instant heat packs. Asprin, tylonol, alka seltzer, cough drops, allergy meds, antiseptic pads, and washes. first aid ointments, vasaline, iodine, anti-diarrhea pills. A diabetic urine test kit. CPR mouth pieces adult and child. The other thing was it also had info and supplies to aid an injured animal. The third barrel had a full set of cast iron cookware, utensils, paper plates, plastic spoons, forks, knives. A set of kitchen knives, several small pots. Camping stoves with gel fire canisters. 2 huge pots for cooking.(like pasta or rice in large amounts). It had bags of vacuum sealed pasta, rice, flour, sugar, bread crumbs, instant drink mixes, instant gravys, dehyderated soups, and other instant just add hot water camping style dinners. Instant eggs. A huge camping coffee pot, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, breakfast and diet add water mixes. And a lot more. The last barrel had vacuum sealed foods for dogs and cats, a crank to play radio, flares, tarps, candles, battery operated flash lights, a couple decks of cards, some coloring books and colored pensils with sharpner, puzzel books, seek-a-words, a couple paper back books. Sewing things safety pins of all sizes, clothes pins, tools, Hatchet, bow saw, folding shovel, small pick ax, pry bar, rope three kinds, hammers, nails, screws and screw drivers, two pully sets. two sets of attachable wheels, two throw away cameras with flash, a set of bungi cords. A twin sized flat sheet, the middle has a red cross and the word help. It could be spread out and seen from the air. Barrel 5 was overflow from the others.

The other thing we always had was animal carriers ones for cats and the ones for dogs. If you have other pets you need to provide for them too, like we had at the time a 3 1/2' snake, and also 4 pet rats, as well as our dogs and cats. and two collaspable dog pens complete with top and tarps, ground cover and blankets, a three room tent, a screened room, a instant raft to fit 6 plus a couple animals. Three fire extingishers, a hibachi, bar-b-cue, coal, starter, 2 boxes of fire logs. We were prepared. Maybe some unnecessary things too, but they say figure minium three days with out help.

Well we don't live in earthquake country any more now it's weather related diasters. Once again we are prepared as best as we can, but this time geared to deal with lots of rain and water. Anyone can do this you don't have to do it all at once make it a family project. You can now buy air tight plastic barrels, but also put the things your putting in them in plastic if you live where you can get a lot of water. I hope anyone who reads this listens, it's up to you, if it's bad enough it may be more than three or four days before help comes.

I'm not a planner. Yet, I like to think that I'm a bit prepared for the worst. I have enough supplies for myself & I'm learning more about survival skills & preparation every day! Even those of us with low incomes can afford a few candles, flashlights, batteries, water, peanut butter & cracker or cheese & crackers packed into a small backback or bag for sudden emergencies. A blackout doesn't need to be total darkness unless you enjoy that sort of thing.

I gotta hand it to WACVET75 for being prepared beyond my wildest dreams! She could have been a writer for Jericho with all of her knowledge & experience. I'm a California Native, so Earthquakes are a part of my life. Now I live in a place that is directly in the flood plain of a nearby dam. There aren't many safe places in California. I suppose the best plan would be to find another state to live in! I suspect I'll die before that happens! Still, I want to be as prepared as I possibly can because I have been in riots & seen people panic & it isn't a pretty sight.

Yes I must say I do tend to hope for the best but expect the worst, that way I won't be disappointed but hopefully be delighted!!!

I always make sure I have a Plan B, and never rely on things to only go one way!

I hope for the best because then I'll have the necessary self-confidence to do whatever it is. I plan for the best and worst incase it turns out either ways so I'm not unprepared for any situation!

I always hope for the best. You need to think positive, this is what will get you out of the worst situations. One thing I know is a lot of people do not have hope, and without hope, it is hard to get by.

I always adopt a second plan for the worst (a 'contingency plan'), but to always work towards, and strive for, the best is my main initiative...And my only hope is that its not in vain.

Source(s): "Good Tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad Tactics can destroy even the best strategy." George S. Patton

Yes, that's what I have been telling my family & myself, since I got a call that my ex husband has just been diagnosed with "Acute Adult Myeloid Leukemia" We know this is not a "beatable" disease. We have all accepted that fact but still we are hoping for the best, but are planning for the worst. Two months ago, he underwent triple heart bypass surgery, now this. It's so devastating him & to all of us.

**miss ellie....If you could see a pic of me when I was very young, then look at your pic, you'd swear we were twins. The likeness is amazing....Is that an early 1950's photo?

I would say I expect the best and usually get it, but I do have insurance, a year's supply of food storage, a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, etc. So, I guess I plan for the worst.

Not at all, most of the time I hope for nothing and don't plan for anything, and generally, believe it or not, things work out for the best. Amazing! ☼

I cant imagine hoping for anything but the best but being realistic I do have a plan B in case things dont work out.

• Milou

Yes i always Hope for the best and i am a fatalist I plan for the worse, My husband say i worry about things before they happen