Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Which of these tow colleges are better in order to land a nice job in finance after undergraduate as work expe

Hey, my dream is to get an MBA from the Yale School of Management. Now, I know there is a lot that goes into getting into a Yale MBA program, such as GMAT score, undergraduate GPA, etc. But I want to focus on getting a job to build up my resume before applying to Yale. So, In order to get a nice job in the finance sector, am I better offdoing my undergraduate from the kelley School of Business at Indiana Bloomington and majoring in Finance and Entrepreneurship, or going to the College of Arts and Sciences at the College of William and Mary and majoring in economics? By the way, I have a full tuition ride at Kelley, as opposed to no scholarship at William and Mary. The only thing that makes it hard for me to decide though is, that while the Kelley School is very highly regarded and prestigious, Indiana University, with all the departments put together, isnt as prestigious as the College of William and Mary.

Favorite Answer

Go with the full ride to Kelly; its undergraduate business is superior to that of WM (its overall prestigious is not as high as you think, it is not the "Wow, you go to Ivy/top private" type). Just take a look at these undergraduate business ranking:

Accounting: 7th

Entrepreneurship: 3rd

Finance: 7th

Management: 5th

Management Information Systems: 7th

Marketing: 7th

Production/Operations Management: 6th

Quantitative Analysis: 8th

Supply Chain: 10th

Real Estate: 7th

As the poster said above, these two schools are not going to make much of a difference in terms of top MBA program admission (there is only a divide between Ivy, Stanford, Duke, NU, etc placement vs other schools). Just get your solid education at Kelly and maintain a fabulous GPA. You will have a great time at IU also.

You seem to have a solid understanding of what you need to do in college, so I am not going to reiterate too much. Apply to Yale (or other MBA programs) and hope for the best.

Good luck.

MBA looks for variety. They will take candidates with either finance or economics background. However, if you already know your plan and the direction in which you would like your career to go, then you should probably choose which job brings you closest to that desired career.

However, the MBA really does look for variety. So, if you want to get a job in economics then apply for your MBA, there is no harm in that as well. You do not need to be a "finance" person to get your MBA. They take all kinds!