Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Difference between "Spanish" spanish and South American spanish?

I'm going to Ecuador and Peru this summer and I have one of those CDs where you're supposed to learn spanish from them (I took spanish in high school (2 years ago) and I just want to freshen up) however whenever they say "dice" or something similar it's pronounced like "dee-thay" rather "dee-say." Which way do they pronounce it in South America?

Best Answer

"Dee-say."

Also, instead of the "yuh" sound for "y" or "ll," you might here "sh" or the "s" sound in "measure" or a number of different versions... Also, in many places, the "vos" form is used. No, this is not the same as the "vosotros" form.

• Stacy

For sure I can't tell in written format. I still can't hear it, but my Ecuadorian friends tell me there is a huge difference between the Spanish spoken in Cuenca and what is spoken in Gualeceo, a 30 minute drive from Cuenca. Written, the differences melt away. I have heard similar about one side of Mexico City to the other side of Mexico City. Multiplied by all of Spanish speaking America, that is ALLOT of dialects for a language with supposedly perfect phonetics. Personally, as a long-time second language speaker, I can hear allot of the dialects, such as Mexican, Cuban, Ecuadorian, Argentinian, Bolivian, etc., but the sub-dialects elude me. Spain, herself, currently has something like 5 national languages. What little I have heard of the Spain dialect (excluding television) seems to get confused within that internal confusion.

It's like the difference between English English and American English.

NO TH in South America.

Maybe in one or two little places, but that is actually a certain kind of Barcelonian Spanish spoken in Langue D'Oc, from the 1100's.

Use regular s.

no mamita!

South America is a big place!

The Northern: Venezuela and Colombia (it is extremely polite) they are quite different!

The Center (Ecuador and Peru) looks like Central America, because there are a lot of American Indians

The Southern part (Uruguay, Chile and Argentina) sound y and ll sound like a combination of "yh" like yo(means "I" as you know)->"yho"

Source(s): Hedley Knewjen Quintana, MD Native Spanish speaker Panama City, Panama www.youtube.com/hedleypanama

In south America you will use "dee-say"..

also, forms such as vosotros, are from Europe.

just use regular s

is diss- eh but together no pause

don't worry about that, just speak normal, they'll understand.