Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Opinion: Confederate flags on vehicles?

At my school, there is a guy who has a full size Confederate flag posted and waving in the wind on his car. I just would like to know your opinion. is it ethical? I think it is so offensive

At my school, there is a guy who has a full size Confederate flag posted and waving in the wind on his car.

Yes I know the term "freedom of expression" comes into play - and he "has every right to do so" But it is a symbol of ignorance. It is incredibly offensive, and i'm not the only one who believes so

Best Answer

its simply a part of american history as well as his heritage,give it a rest!

• dawnb

It wouldn't bother me in the least. The confederate flag was the flag of the Southern States at a time in history and since it had little or nothing to do with the slavery issue as everyone has made it out to be, there is no reason to be offended. The North and the South had slaves and I don't recall anyone claiming our Stars and Stripes are offensive.

I live in North Carolina and I see the fed flag everywhere. When you study US history, you'll understand. I'm from the North and I can accept the fact that the South should have won the Civil War. People who display the Confederate flag are simply showing Southern pride- please, PLEASE do not be offended. The Confederate flag was in use WAY before slavery even became part of the Civil War. In fact, Lincoln didn't even care about slavery- he only issued the Emancipation Proclamation so that the South wouldn't receive aid from Britain, not to free the slaves. The Civil War was about the South seceding, and that's what the flag symbolizes. I used to be offended until I understood why people still show it so proudly. I hope this helped..

We live in a time of political correctness and everyone getting offended at something or other . Yet we still whine when our 'rights' are seemingly violated. Even the Ten Commandments are forbidden because they might offend someone. Enough! Free speech is for everyone - not just a select few. Show whatever flag you want, but don't' dis someone who might offend you some other way!

I have no objection to the Southern flag . Those who object to it , call it the Southern Battle flag . They never call the Stars ans Stripes the Northern Battle flag .

Foreign flags , State flags , etc should be flown under the Stars and Stripes .

Source(s): Born and raised in the North .

He has the right to fly his little flag, but in today's day and age, anyone who does so might as well stamp, "I'm a racist!" on their forehead. The argument that it's a historical ode to the South doesn't change it for me...especially if you live in the North.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Alex on this one.

The guy should be free to waive any sort of flag that he wants.

However, whenever I see one of those on a vehicle I instantly think (Wow, there's another uneducated racist. He is probably on the way back from trying to "nail" his sister, and on the prowl to find his next "Hate Crime".)

I know that is probably not a very good prejudice to have or a good stereotype to think of... However, that is just what flashes through my mind whenever I see one of those...

He has every right to post that flag on his own property. It does however show a sign of ignorance and lack of understanding in regards to what that flag represents. If he wants to be seen as a racist and an uneducated fool then so be it.

I think you're just trying to stir the pot and trying to make a big deal out of nothing...*the flag has different contexts depending on how you look at it..*but from your question I think you're just analyzing too much and seeing it as a race issue..quit it..that's so annoying! *They're proud to descent from the south..so what?,..

He has every right to do so, it is a free country. and with that of course there will be some things that offend people. but remember it's still a free country and we can do anything we want reguardless of if it offends people.