How far in advance should you store food? And are you preparing for the heat or the cold?

Favorite Answer

I keep canned goods for 1 year, then donate them to the food bank or shelter.

Dry goods (rice, beans, flour) generally only last 6 months, but I have read that if these items are packed in a sealed bag with NITROGEN & not Oxygen, that they can last for years in storage!

I have been recylcing one gallon water bottles for years. I buy bottled water & when I use the contents, I refill the bottles with tap water & store them in a dark place away from sunlight (algae will grow if they are exposed to sunlight). I refill these yearly. This year, I simply replaced them & turned in the old bottles for cash.

I live in a hot dry climate, so I am preparing for the heat. It's FIRE SEASON...are you ready?

I also keep a few MRE's & light sticks in a bag with the water for extra measure.

2+

• Leslie

At the moment I really have no storage ability. With our new addition that will change but I still try and stock up on things like chicken broth and mushroom soup. I buy quantity at Costco. Tomato paste and sause and stewed tomatoes are another item I get at Costco. I never really think in terms of emergencies rations though. If we loose electricity we loose water as it comes from out well. I want to get a generator for those times. We have lots of fire wood so heat would not be a problem. I was considering getting about 6 chickens for eggs and I could raise a couple of goats for milk etc. Goats milk is better for you, naturally homoginized and goats cost less to feed.

• Gladys

I usually have a month's supply of canned foods during the winter months. I live in the country and during the winter, we are prone to heavy snow falls that make the roads impassable. This past winter was especially bad because of record-break amounts. In the summer, I probably keep a 2-week supply. Plus, I can my own vegetables and fruits out our our garden each fall, so I have those too. I usually look a the use by date on the products I buy to make sure I'm not buying something at the end of the shelf life. I've learned how to interpret some of the codes so that I know what not to buy because it's not fresh.

• CJ

Check the dates on the boxes (or cans) - that'll be a good indication as to how long the food will last. I am not preparing for weather conditions - but the conditions to my wallet and check book . What I buy today, will be that much cheaper than what I buy tomorrow! Plus I need more TP (as that is one of the first things to go up in price)! I do not panic about storing food, I am just practical, and do not believe in paying exorbitantly high prices. CJ

I always keep a 10 to 14 day supply of 'nonperishable' food in my pantry; and a few gallons of water too (I don't store large amounts of water because my hot water heater holds 60 gallons which can be cut off from water supply lines and used if needed). I rotate my 'stash' at least twice a year, typically sometime around June 1st and December 1st (it's easy for me to remember these times-the beginning and end of hurricane season.)

It's almost always warm here. We prepare for wet season and dry season.

added in edit: I've used at least part of my stored food at least 6 times since we've moved to the house in 1981. You just never know when a tornado, power outage, or even something like catching the flu can make 'shopping' difficult.

I keep a well stocked pantry in my basement which includes canned goods, paper goods, cleaning supplies and other non-perishables. By storing them in the basement, these items are in a cool, controlled environment.

As for how far in advance to store items, I buy canned goods on sale and have been able to successfully store them for years. For plastic-bottled goods it is always best to check the expiration dates.

Baked goods, such as cookies, crackers and cereals do not tend to store for very long. They become stale after a short while. Check the dates on these also.

Paper goods, such as toilet paper, towels, plates, cups, of course, can store indefinitely, but it is space that determines how much of these items to store ahead.

Source(s): My parents grew up as children in the Great Depression and taught me to plan ahead. With today's gas and food prices, many people are turning to this philosophy.

We always maintain at least a 30 day supply. My biggest fear is winter. I've lived through some very harsh blizzards and one ugly ice storm that crippled us for weeks.

I live in Ca. so I have water and canned ready to eats ready all the time.Think over what you would need in an emergency.Water,batteries,radio,flash light,canned foods,blanket and toiletries.I say it is better to be safe than sorry...

I also like full cupboards and freezer, so if it is hot I can prepare something cool, and the other-way around.