What size should the blanket be for a toddler's bed?

I want to sew a blanket/quilt for my nephew who is almost 18 months old. I thought it would be best if I made it the right size for his next bed (instead of his crib, since his parents are talking about having another kid), which would probably be a toddler's bed (or a twin - I don't have kids, and I'm not really sure how this all goes). What size (dimensions, in inches) would that be approximately? I want to make something that is cute and fun but also useful. Granted, whatever I make can always be used anywhere else and blanket sizes are pretty forgiving, but if I were to do this right, what size would it be? Thanks!

Best Answer

When my 8 year old daughter was younger and just moved to a twin size bed, she didn't like her twin size quilt. She said it's too heavy and she can't move under it. And even now, she still uses a quilt that doesn't cover her whole bed, but covers her perfectly. It is about 43" wide and 60" long. I would consider it a lap quilt (something that was made for an adult to snuggle on the couch with).

You might consider making something in this in-between size that your nephew can use no matter what size his bed is.

Toddler Blanket Size

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I want to sew a blanket/quilt for my nephew who is almost 18 months old. I thought it would be best if I made it the right size for his next bed (instead of his crib, since his parents are talking about having another kid), which would probably be a toddler's bed (or a twin - I don't have...

Source(s): size blanket toddler 39 bed: https://biturl.im/Lrpm3
  • Go fot the twin size and be sure to add enough on the sides to hang down & cover the mattress when the bed is made.

A 38 x 70 bed would need to be about 58 inches wide, if you use a dust ruffle. Add another 20 inches if you don't so it will hide the box springs too.

As far as the length. . . Are you going to make it long enough to cover the pillow? or make matching pillow case? The length would be about 85 inches with dust ruffle, 95 without, plus what you would fold down or cover the pillow with, another 20 inches.

I would make it 78 x 105.

I have made several, for kids & now grand kids. The ones my grand kids use the most are those made from that microfiber fleese, It is basically blanket material, but much softer. It comes 60 inches wide. I use to get about 1 yard, when they were little.

They can carry it from room to room where ever they are and sleep on it or under it. My grandson is now 5 & I bought 2 1/2 yards to cover his bed. In the summer he sleeps on it, in winter under it. So much for the quilt I made:)

Toddler Bed Dimensions

A toddler bed actually uses a crib mattress. The size would be approx. 53 x 30.

A twin bed would be approx. 38 x 75.

I would go with the twin size, most kids don't stay in a toddler bed very long.