Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

About "unique" baby names?

Why does everyone say that a child with a unique name will be tortured and stuff while growing up.

That's far from true.

Look at A LOT of the children born around the same time, they have unique names too.

It may be a hassle, but they won't get teased.

And second, why are everyone using the SAME EXACT "unique" baby names?

If you want something unique, use something more common.

Btw Andrew Jaedin is 9 months old todayyyy.

:D

Andrew Jaedin is my baby's name.

haha.

But there are a lot of weird spellings of names, like Paiyge.

Or something.

Heavyn-Leigh

Shwan [Shawarn]

When I have a baby I'm going to name him something classic probably, like Macon.

If it's a girl Tanner Kade

And I like the name Kael for a boy.

• laura
    Favorite Answer

i agree with everything you've said! i've never met anyone who was teased for having a unique name - they're usually envied! and names like nevaeh are not unique if everyone else is naming their baby that! (though i must say i'm not a fan of macon, tanner or kael...but that's just my opinion)

I'm naming my baby Rosemary - I bet she'll be the only one in her class but it's a pretty classic name that doesn't sound made up and isn't spelled in a silly way!

• Vivian

Well said ... and that's exactly why I avoid the term whenever possible. After all, simply asking about or commenting on a name -- sans "baby" -- should be sufficient enough. ;) To take your thought a step further, I've noticed that books and sites who buy into this and place the phrase "baby name" right in their title are often the least accurate by far. Listing obviously incorrect origins and meanings and any and all possible (mis)spellings, likely in an attempt to up their numbers. After all, if given the choice between "899 Names for Baby" and "1,002 Wonderful Baby Names," which would you likely pick up? LOL Conversely, if a book or site is truly dedicated to accuracy, you won't likely find "baby" anywhere in the name. Behind the Name, for example, is certainly the best site I've found for researching the etymology of given names (not "baby names"). ;) I'd avoid anyone or anything that infantilizes the whole process, frankly. As you said, just because the names are given at birth shouldn't negate the reality that they will one day be "adult names." :)

My objections to made-up names usually have nothing to do with teasing (unless the name is an obvious insult). Kids will find anything to pick on.

What I find unacceptable about giving a child a name like Jaedin is that it does not age well. Jaedin looks ridiculous on a resume or CV. It makes the person bearing the name look uneducated. Who would you take more seriously: a doctor named Eleanor or a doctor named Ellie-Mae? Children are not children forever. Cutesy nicknames should be just that -- nicknames. They should have a legitimate, correctly spelled full name to use in professional settings when they grow up.

Unique name can be a name like Jodi

It has not been in the top 1000 girl names in the last 15 years, yet everyone knows the name

Nevaeh(heaven spelled backward), I hate this name

It is a top 100 name, not unique, but common

You see, not everyone want a top 100 name

Some 100 top names are pretty bad

Some names that does not make the top 1000 list are fine names not odd

If you like Andrew that is fine, it's a good classic name

Not everyone want a name so common, and there are tons on not common names that are not weird

There are common names that are weird

• Velken

Some kids do get tormented. I've had several friends that got teased about their names. Fortunately they went by a nickname derived from their real name, so it blew over quickly. If you like unique, that's fine. But the poor kid is the one that has to live with it. Don't get upset if they use a different name or a nickname because later in life they hate what you named them. My name is a bit unique, but doesn't sounds like my mother was on drugs when she picked it out. Some names do....

Well, it all depends on what this "unique" name is. There was a question not to long ago, someone asking about the word "Jinx" for a girl name.

I believe that child with the name "jinx" will be teased.

I don't mind unique names, but don't make them up or pick one that has a nice meaning behind it.

I have a unique name and have never been teased about it. I do get asked where it comes from a lot, but I love my name.

Unique is a word that is grossly misused in modern English. It actually means "one of a kind."

Therefore, for a name to truly be unique, there'd have to be no one else on the planet with that name.

yeah, I know, it's stupid for people to think that

People don't bully people for having "Different" names. I mean if you name your child "Sh*t" then of corse they'll get bullied, but if you name them a unique name like "Jaedin" of corse they wont, why would they?

It is true tough that some unusual names r beautiful, but some are quite cruel. Especially depending on the child's character. But i guess you can never know the child's character and any name can be terrible depending on it.