Ko 3D asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 decade ago

what I have to buy? Canon D400, D450,Nikon D80,Sony A350?

I'll buy SLR camera tomorrow.

what SLR and Lens do I have to buy?

Canon EOS D400

Canon EOS D450

Nikon D80

Sony Alpha A350

My budget is US $1,000.

Favorite Answer

I would drop the Sony from the choices and just compare the 3 models based on the ff:

price:

1. Canon EOS 400D Rebel XTi

Canon EOS Rebel XTi Black SLR Digital Camera w/ 18-55mm Kit

Price Range: $569.95 - $918.90 from 26 Sellers

http://imaging-resource.pricegrabber.com/search_ge...

2. Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi

Canon EOS Rebel XSi Silver Digital Camera Kit

Price Range: $899.95 - $899.99 from 3 Sellers

3. Nikon D80

Nikon D80 Digital Camera w/ 18-135mm Lens Kit

Price Range: $924.99 - $1,299.99 from 17 Sellers

the new 450D have the highest mega-pixel than the two at 12.2MP, is the lightest at 475 g, only brand with an LCD view finder and have the biggest LCD (3")

both the canon have a Focal Length Multiplier of 1.60 against the nikon of 1.50

but the nikon have a maximum ISO rating of 3200 which is only 1600 for both canon, and exposure adjustment range of 5.0EV compare to just 2.0EV for the canons.

but the street price range of $1,032 for the nikon makes me recommend the Canon EOS XSi / 450D at $900 and just use the extra $100 for added accessories.

read the review for the 450D here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/XSI/XSIA.HTM

• Megan

Firstly, brand vs brand... Nikon's pulled ahead slightly. But the battle has been going on for about four + decades. In each time, each has pulled forwards and backwards in matters of years - and recently, even months. I'd bet that the new release of Canon cameras, in about 2010, will provide immense awesome room for upgrading. Not that the current is bad. They just need to improve AF a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny... bit. Oh well. I stick with Canon. But look...There isn't a better brand. I use Canon for specific reasons. The great debate stretches on and on and on. There isn't a better brand. Sure, Ken Rockwell likes Nikon... Sure, other pros might use Canon... (Note: Yes, I think Ken Rockwell is wrong at times and just plain biased in others, but he does have a disclaimer and he does explain why he prefers Nikon...) You'll notice that almost all sports and action photogs use Canon because when the AF systems were new back in the 90's, Canon's was a lot better than Nikon. And of course, it's not cheap to change... Now, both are tied. In the beginning it was Nikon and pros. Then Canon caught up. The digital era brought Canon to the throne, and now... yes, there are subtle differences in their different lenses, but you can't compare it directly unless you have the same camera body. Oh, put the camera body to the test as well, but no, it doesn't work that way - they both are excellent brands. Sure, sometimes Canon's a bit soft; etc. etc... but here's the *general* run down. Sony = best image quality (in fact, makes sensors for Nikon) Nikon = best ISO handling Canon = best of both Some may not agree, but that's it. Some don't really mind a tiny, tiny, unnoticeable difference in Image Quality and therefore choose Nikon, as its ISO handling is superb. Especially photojournalists, you'll notice. Personally, I like Canon. But think about the differences, what the lenses are and if you are thinking about getting one, what you're going to do. Canon makes great macros... etc. etc. They all have their 'top' lenses: Canon ~ L Nikon ~ ED Sony ~ Carl Zeiss (the most expensive) So you see, you cannot really compare them. --- Then, to these cameras. The EOS 450D is the better camera, in my opinion. It can handle high ISO levels much better than the Sony, as it has a CMOS sensor, instead of CCD - well, it handles it better anyway. At 3200 ISO, the Sony is a blob. Unfortunate, but true. Good for taking dark shots. Apart from that, the fps (450D 3.5fps vs a350 2.5fps) and much larger file size for a350... the 450D wins.

Go to http://dpreview.com and compare the various cameras side by side, see which features appeal to you the most.

Remember, when you buy a dslr, you are buying into a system of lenses, and accessories as well as the camera. You'll want to think about what you want to shoot, and the availability of lenses and other gear. Canon and Nikon have the most available and best quality lenses, of the cameras you have mentioned.

The Canon 450D has live view and spot metering, along with the self cleaning sensor and 12.1 mp, which puts it top of the list for me.

After looking at the comparisons, read the reviews, then go to a real camera store, and handle the different cameras, try them with various lenses, and buy the one which fits you best.

• RC

Here is a site that did a comparison on Canon D400, Nikon D80, and Sony however, it was with A100 - Nikon won the comparison

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/10Megapixel_DSL...

Here's the review for Canon D450:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_450D_D...

I would suggest the Canon 450D because of the "Live view" options, where you can look at a monitor as well as the optical viewer, higher resolution, and its anti dust technology.

I haven't have any luck with Sony products, even cameras, they seems to be not as sturdy as the rest.

I just bought the Sony last week and could not be happier. I too was leaning towards a canon but I spoke to a very knowledgeable man working at my camera store for several hours and I basically discovered that this is the best quality camera on offer in my lowish price range. I also discovered (after trying out all the cameras) that for what you're paying it beats the quality of top competitors like Nikon and Canon. Unlike many other cameras it has an image stabilizer in the body itself so no matter what lens you end up using the camera will always have the stabilizer, which is fantastic, especially if, like me, you don't know how to handle a camera very well. This camera is certainly easy to use, and the depth-of-field is excellent. I would suggest spending just a tad bit more and opting for a Tamron (SP AF17-50mm) lens, it was the best decision I could have possibly made. The quality is superb. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! If you still don't know what to do though I would suggest talking to an expert at your camera store, I found it to be exceedingly helpful. Good luck!

• Dan

It depends how far into photography you are at the moment to what i would get,

beginner slr user - canon 450d - easiest to use

intermediate - sony a350 - fairly easy to use with live view and awesone lens range, you can use all sony, carl zeiss and minolta whitch you can get used cheap now

nikon d80 - more advanced user, would be confusing for a beginner to use it is more a pro camera than the other two

they are all great cameras good luck

• EDWIN

Simply because the A350 has an articulated Live View screen that works with AF and has its Image Stabilization in the camera body I vote for the A350.

The A350 can use every Minolta Maxxum AF lens made since 1985 so you'll have plenty to choose from if you don't mind buying used. Plus, Sony is releasing a line of Carl Zeiss lenses for their entire Alpha Series.

Regardless of what camera you buy, plan on spending time to really READ & STUDY the Owner's Manual.

Good luck!

I'm a 20D user for the past two years, my boyfriend recently have purchased Canon EOS 400D on his trip to Japan, I just loved it a lot, so I can't imagine how Canon EOS 450D is, I highly recommend it :D

i prefer nikon. qualty factor!!

dont get sony- i have had many-they dont do cameras