hotshoes asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Horselovers-----Can you save by not shoeing?

Why such a controversy over this ---Shoeing is sometimes harmfull.But many if not most can be used without shoes.,and a horse owner on tite budget can trim the horse.Your farrier will probably teach you .Ask.I allways did own shoeing and trimming, but now to save money and my back.My horses walk on 2" gravel near gates ,their hooves always look nice.

Favorite Answer

Well, I save by not shoeing. And I used to shoe all the time. Have a mare that was consistently sissy footed and lame at different times. Spent alot of money on specialty shoes and supplements. Took her to a certified barefoot trimmer and followed the recommendations and a year later...sound as sound can be. And we do trailride on hard ground. We ride along the river with MANY rocks. We go down the asphalt roads to the trails. We even game without shoes. We team pen and WITHOUT shoes...my mare can do an 8 to 9 second keyhole.

My farrier taught me how to do my horses feet. And the gelding is done different than the mare. Oh, and since we've been barefoot...her contracted heel is opening up and expanding.

Oh yeah...I saved alot of money! And saved being able to ride my mare again...anywhere I want to.

Absolutely! It is a new thing in a lot of 'natural' horse circles. The thing is - some horses hooves have been actually weakened by the constant shoeing. It takes more time than some horse owners want - to get the hoof healthy enough to be ridden on any surface without shoes. I have a couple of horses that have excellent feet. And they get ridden in all kinds of terrain. Not on pavement. Even ride them in the arena and never a problem. We trim them and run a rasp a couple of times and they are good to go. Now the FUNNY part?? My husband and I shoe horses on the weekends and at the rodeo's...

• D

I pay a farrier- too much could go wrong if you trim your own horse.

I know very few horses in shoes- Most of them just have them on for corrective problems, such as navicular. Out of the 300 or so horses at barns I have worked at over the past 4 years, maybe only 10% of them were shoed in front, and 2 or 3 in back.

At least in my area (Wisconsin) most people prefer barefoot.

• Terry

I save by not shoeing. I had a farrier that insisted that my mare be shod on the front but he had problems getting it done. One time when i wasn't here he lip twitched my mare to shoe her. Needless to say that was the last time I used him. The guy I use now has no problem with her. He trims barefoot with a mustang role. The other guy just trimmed her flat and strait on the hove wall. By rolling the hove wall rounded she doesn't chip off. She is ridden off road and on road with no problems. She is White hoofed too. I do feed her a hove supplement in a small way to help thicken her hove walls. I would probably do my own trimming if my back would let me but I just can't. I do a little maintains between trims.I could see how shoes on the back of a reining horse doing big stops would be needed but just riding trail or working cattle I just don't see it.

There's not really enough information to answer this question properly. If your horses are mainly kept in a pasture and not ridden, then shoes may not be needed at all - but they still need to be checked. And most horse owners in that situation are not able to adequately evaluate a horse's hooves. Also, lots of times you can get by with just front shoes or only shoeing if they've been shod before. The old adage goes that a horse with black feet is sounder than one with white feet. There is something to that too. There are just sooo many different reasons that shoes may be needed. And so often owners aren't able to trim or shoe. You said your back is a problem now, but some (most) folks should not even try if they might hurt themselves.

• Debi

I suppose I'm counted as saving because mine are only shod at the front. Always have been since before I got them - the back feet are like iron. Pony gets shoes all round because his feet crumble - no chance of him coping without but the horse we have on loan is barefoot and has been for about 5 years. Her feet are lovely but I wouldn't attempt to trim them myself - I like the farrier to look at them and check that all is okay, if she doesn't need a trim he doesn't do one.

We work on roads and gravel and red ash.

If not trimmed correctly, a person can do severe damage to a horse's feet. Just having incorrect angles, heels, changing angles too much at once, etc, can damage tendons and ligaments in the horse's entire legs. I don't think the average horse owner should just be trimming their horse's feet to save money. In the long run, it will cost more in vet bills to correct any damage they might do.

In many cases, people aren't riding their horses in rocky areas or on gravel, or taking them to shows, etc, so its fine to keep a pasture horse barefoot. We always leave our broodmares barefoot to save on money, and because they just don't need it for any good reason. Horses that we show and might be on concrete, stone, etc, or any horses that we do a lot of trail riding with get shoes to protect their feet. If my horse is lame, he's not good to me as a show horse, so I'd rather spend the money in the summer to keep shoes on. In the winter when you don't ride, if you want to save money, then pull the shoes.

• Lizzy

sure not all horses need shoes but if they have bad feet then you are doing more harm then good and hoof supplements can cost more then a set of 4 shoes. even without shoes a farrier still need to see a horse every 6-8 weeks to trim a horses hoves.

Source(s): my horse doesn't get shod behind during the winter to save $. a pair of winter shoes cost more then 4 regular shoes...

Geezas people.....whats with the "NO" shoe's approach. I trail ride my horses through the mountains and wouldn't dream of ever riding them without shoe's. As for doing them yourself....are you nuts.! These farriers take years to master their skills and have expert advice to offer on the knowledge of ones horse. My farrier comes out every 8 weeks to shoe my Arab and trim my Mare as she is not ridden. When she doe's eventually get to go on a trail, she MUST have shoe's put on first. I really dint believe in the "Natural hoof" approach, but each to their own.

If they aren't on gravel or other hard surfices a lot, then they should be fine without shoes. But they will still need to be trimmed occationally. Shoes are maily for horses who carry loads on a regular basis, such as working horses, trail ridding horses, etc. to protect their hooves from the extra strain, and the fact that those horses are usually worked on hard surfices.