Faith versus Reason?

Which do you prefer, if it comes down to it?

btw, for the religious...you do realize its called a religious faith, not a religious system of logic, don't you?

And my final question- in a sword fight would you prefer to use faith that the enemy has terrible eyesight, or reason (see where the enemy is pointing his sword) to avoid his sword?

Genghis dear, you're not making any sense.

Here's the definition btw,

Main Entry:

1faith Listen to the pronunciation of 1faith

Pronunciation:

\ˈfāth\

Function:

noun

Inflected Form(s):

plural faiths Listen to the pronunciation of faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāthz\

Etymology:

Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust — more at bide

Date:

13th century

1 a: allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1): fidelity to one's promises (2): sincerity of intentions2 a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust3: something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

and since this is an either or question, good luck fighting without reason. Hope the enemy is really bad at aiming.

Genghis, sorry honey, but the atheists in foxholes managed to return as well; and I'd be completely surprised if you could survive that war without using reason, considering you'd be a walking PSV patient...which in itself is an oxymoron

Favorite Answer

Ehh...Reason for both?

For the second, I'd rather not chance it and die. Especially if he has excellent eyesight. Kthxbai.

Source(s): Atheist

Neither. The question is why did all and sundry come to settle for the assumption-approximately any gods to start with. The reasoning technique is unlearning myths and fables of formative years. Given the age that a baby learns the religion of their custom, they have been indoctrinated and function been conditioned and punished, so they suspect something first without ever sorting out no count number if that's real or not. faith is performing on a thought won at age 3, 4 or 5. i've got grown notably considering that element. faith is conserving a thought --whether fake or perhaps regardless of data to the choice. it rather is seen the middle of being irrational and illogical. If I allow you to realize god is pink will you have self belief it without data. If not, why did you have self belief the tale of a god once you first heard it....

You do realize that not believing in God requires faith and hope. By not believing in God, you "hope" that our beliefs are wrong. Better yet, you believe that our beliefs are wrong. You don't KNOW that there is no God. In my opinion, that is a bigger leap of faith than believing in God.

As to your second question, I would prefer to use the faith that if I aim well, and pull the trigger, it won't matter where my enemy is pointing his sword.

By your definition, belief in evolution is a religion, belief in human caused global warming is a religion.

• Truth

To see where the enemy is pointing his sword isn't reason, it's observation. Reason is anticipating where he will point it next.

To assume a seeing man is blind isn't faith. Faith is knowing you are a betters swordsman because you have practiced and trained well, or possibly even seen your opponent fight and had the opportunity to observe his weaknesses and strengths.

Source(s): Dictionary.

You have faith. So it's not something that is only religious, but something that you need in order to function properly.

Try hearing it from a Philosophies of Education professor sometime.

You are confusing fact with truth. They are two separate issues. The fact may be that I believe in God but the truth-whether I believe it or not-is that there is a God. To answer your second question read Ephesians 6.

Reason completely. A debate with logos is both more superior and more sound than faith based.

For the second question- I'd rather just have a gun.

Reason- I trust my mind, it very rarely lets me down. Logic is the greatest thing in the world. Faith may be good for some people, but it isn't for me.

That sounds a little like the questions Satan asked Jesus. There is no answer except that there is no answer to your question. btw I am not religious, I am a Christian.

Truthfully, a well balanced person is comfortable with both.