Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

DEA, ATF, FBI,Police chain of command: how do i find out the names of the posts?

What i mean is , just like in Military you have Colonel who is higher-up than a major and so on..is there any site/resource that would let me know the hierarchy for those agencies??

I'm a young writer and I would like my work to at least sound authentic.

thank you very much for your answers.

Favorite Answer

About every department is different.... FBI, ATF and DEA are all special agents who are under a special agent in charge or supervising special agent all the way up to director with a couple of administrator functions in between.... As far as sheriffs, you have Sheriff, undersheriff, assistant sheriff, commander, captain, lieutenant, sergeant, corporal and deputy. You could have major instead of commander and/or colonial. Depends upon what military branch they replicate. For instance, in the Navy, a captain is the same as a colonial and a lieutenant is the same as a captain in Army, Marines or Air Force.

Police is the same way except you have a Chief, Deputy Chief, Assistant Chief and Bureau Chief, depending on the size of the department.

But again, like I said, all departments are different..... Then you have detectives, which are a branch within and of themselves for both sheriffs and police. A police dept is usually for a city and a sheriff's department is usually for a county.

Hope this helps some

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

thank you very much for your answers.

Source(s): dea atf fbi police chain command find names posts: https://shortly.im/HIT3e
  • vest

Fbi Chain Of Command

There is no hiearchy as they handle different aspects of law in different jurisdictions.

DEA only deals with controlled substances (i.e. drugs) as per their name.

BATF only deals with alcohol, tobacco, and firearms (mainly firearms nowadays).

FBI handles stuff like kidnapping, serial killers, and stuff like that. They also do corruption, terrorism, and so on.

Counterfeit currency and economic crimes are usually under the purview of Secret Service.

Police and sheriff handle stuff within their own district / area. If stuff is too big or involves multiple jurisdictions, then other agencies or neighbors can be called in. Usually the first agency on the scene will take over as "lead agency", unless they decline. Then a "lead agency" is nominated (and since Feds usually have more resources, it's usually a Federal agency)

There is no hierarchy really they do diffrent things but the head honchos are usually the FBI or CIA then come the rest probably dont forget that the pentagon also have their own guys. The NSA also work in a diffrent way **** it's no wonder we are all confused there's agencies with in agencies!!! Im jumping from the train!!

• Teresa

Yes you can, but they cannot be visible in a suit. I would say none below the elbow or knee and none above the neck.