if YOU DISCONNECT A BATTERY TERMINAL WHILE A CAR IS RUNNING WILL IT TURN OFF?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Please listen to the ones that state--not to do this. Modern alt need the battery to remove the charging spikes of the alternator and electrical system. Pulling the lead can cause a voltage spike that can do damage to your Voltage Reg in your Alt.

Source(s): mechanic 30 years
  • Anna
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

There are three more issues to consider and 2 possible solutions I can think of. 1. It would be worth while checking if the amp is in working order. If your battery is still being drained on a low level of music then try running this amp in another car. It could be the amp at fault! 2. It may just be the end of the battery life. I once had a set up and the battery got drained. I replaced the battery and never had a problem again. 3. There may be a short somewhere else in the car, sometimes wires can come apart or make contact with another surface to drain. Possible solutions if the amp is not at fault: 1. Uprate the battery and alternator if you regularly crank. You may need a deep cycle battery such as an Optima yellow top. 2. The big 3: This involves 3 wires. a) 8awg minimum ground from battery to body (bare metal) b) 8awg minimum ground from alternator to body c) 8awg minimum from alternator positive to positive on battery See how that goes!

• 1 decade ago

No, but it might destroy your electronics, since the battery acts as a regulator for the alternator, keeping the voltage close to 12 volts. Without the battery this can surge to 40 volts or more, burning out your electronics.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

maybe maybe not

the car will stay running as long as the alternator does not spike and burn out your engine computer

the battery acutely absorbs and or lends current to your electrical system as your engine rpm and demands change which causes the alternator to change load if you pull the battery while your car is running the alternator will not have that sponge to help it regulate its self and then you could end up with a voltage spike that burns things out

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Batteries start cars and are not regulators in any way.After the car starts the alternator takes over and if you unhook the battery and the car dies your alternator is bad.

• 1 decade ago

Nope. The battery only starts the engine. After that the alternator takes over and runs the car's electricity needs. If you do this however the alternator won't recharge the battery.

Before car batteries started cars you had to crank them up to get the engine started.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no it shouldnt unless something is wrong but you have to know the new car you can burn something out by doing it the spark it makes when you do it can burn out alll kinds of thing and you shouldnt do it that way anymore... but since you have alway ready id say either your battery or the alterantor is bad

• 1 decade ago

yes if your alternator is bad , most times doing so can blow the alternator in newer cars its not recommended

• 1 decade ago

yes, i have done that a lot of times so i know.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, if it does, something is wrong with your alternator or circuit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.