Cohen & Slamowitz..?

i had received calls from these "Lawyers" 3 times a day telling me if I didnt pay my bill they were going to garnish my wages, I actuall yelled at them one time to stop calling me.. I dont know what to do.. how do I go about paying my bill? Is it going to be turned over to another attorney? someone, some advice please?

Best Answer

Cohen & Slamowitz are SCUM BAGS. I was harassed by them too. They would repeatedly send letters accusing me of owing them money when I did not.

Get educated on the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act." That is the law that Cohen & Slamowitz must follow when trying to collect a debt. Unsurprisingly, Cohen & Slamowitz gets sued for violating the law frequently. Google the phrase "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act", read the law and figure out which parts of the law they violated. If there are violations, consider contacting an attorney. Visit www.findlaw.com.

If I recall correctly, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act forbids a debt collector from contacting you if you've asked them to stop communicating with you. So, if Cohen & Slamowitz contacts you again, you may have a basis for suing them under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Consider taping phone calls that you get from them.

Also, you should report unethical conduct by Cohen & Slamowitz to the Attorney Grievance Committee. If the unethical conduct is serious enough, Cohen & Slamowitz can lose their license to practice law. I have previously filed complaints with the Attorney Grievance Committee. The more complaints the Committee receives, the more they will penalize the bastards at Cohen & Slamowitz. Send your complaint to this address:

Attorney Grievance Committee

150 Motor Parkway Suite 102

Hauppauge, NY 11788

Also, visit

http://www.fight-cohen-slamowitz.org/

Finally, I don't think your file will be turned over to another attorney. I think Cohen & Slamowitz will deal this.