How important are Tire Valve Stem Caps in retaining tire air pressure?

I was wondering if anyone knew how important tire valve stem caps were in maintaining inflation pressure in auto tires? I noticed one of my tires losing air slowly (from 30 psi to 21 psi in about a week) and this tire (unlike the other three) also had a missing tire valve stem cap. I've just replaced it, and was wondering if a missing valve stem cap caused faster loss of tire pressure.

Favorite Answer

Tire valve caps are the final seal again potential failure in the valve of the valve stem. A good tire valve cap will come with high quality rubber seal that push against the circumferential 'ring' of the valve stem and thereby help to contain the air should the valve fail or not containing the air very well.

You observation of your tire (the one with the missing cap) losing air confirms that this could be a possibility.

Of course, the other possibility is that your tire is having a slow leak - go to any petrol station, and it could be rectified at a minimal cost.

Note: Even if the valve is perfectly good, if the tire go over a bump or pot hole, it is still susceptible to lost of air due to the additional pressure asserted during the hit.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I was wondering if anyone knew how important tire valve stem caps were in maintaining inflation pressure in auto tires? I noticed one of my tires losing air slowly (from 30 psi to 21 psi in about a week) and this tire (unlike the other three) also had a missing tire valve stem cap. I've just...

Source(s): important tire valve stem caps retaining tire air pressure: https://shortly.im/3lHKs

The valve caps main purpose is o keep dirt/debris out of the valve stem. if the valve inside were to leak due to not being tight or dirt holding it open the cap may prevent leaks. but if you refill that tire once a week, the dirt would have been forced in. replace the cap and see what happens. check the tire and valve stem with soapy water to help find the leak.

Source(s): with or without the vave cap there should be no leak.
  • avina

Tire Caps

think you might have a leak like a nail or something just the cap being off would nt cause that much of a drop .... check at home with soapy water with it full of air and sit and watch it ....with or without it shouldnt leak at all in a week and only like a pound or so a month when right.... 25 yrs working with tires you have a leak its not the cap

• J.

Mycoldfeet and Randy are correct but if you are

experiencing pressure loss in the tire then you

may have a slow puncture.I had the same prob

a few months ago and never noticed the small

headless nail sticking in the tire till i removed

the wheel and had a good look.

Only way I know of this can occur is if debris gets into the valve itself and opens the valve slightly.

only if the valve is leaking will you lose air if the cap isn't on it, it really makes no difference.

• not very if at all. the biggest point in that little cap is to keep water and garbage out of the the stem itself.

if the stems are tight, none, all they do is keep dirt and mud out.