Do auto manufacturers release CAD files for their cars?

Seems like they would have to. For example; how does a company go about designing aftermarket parts to fit a specific car?

If so, how would one go about getting said files? Also, are there any third party 'databases' with CAD files for mass produced vehicles?

Maybe this should be is own question, but are there any easily obtainable databases of car model specifications?

Favorite Answer

I don't think it's in the car manufacturers interest to publicly release the CAD geometry that they invested time and money developing.

Car manufacturers often allow other companies to produce aftermarket parts, under license, based upon the original drawings / CAD data.

An alternative method used by companies to produce after market parts is to reverse engineering

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineer

.

• altha

by some skill, autos have distinctive status than cameras or DVD gamers. Of the vast 3, GM, Ford and Chrysler. GM is per risk the least incompetent. Ford had the Pinto, the Escort and the Taurus. i offered an '87 Escort in 'ninety six. It replaced into decrease than 10 years previous. while it had a mechanical subject, i could not discover one mechanic who theory the fee of maintenance replaced into justified in comparison with the marketplace fee. on the time, the Escort replaced into my NEW vehicle. here is my fleet. I own 5 autos that are pushed via 4 drivers, myself, my spouse, my son and my daughter. '86 Toyota MR2. Paid $550 6 years in the past. 37mpg. daily utilization via my son. '88 BMW 735i. offered on eBay for $2400 3 years in the past. advantageous vehicle yet not gas useful. i offered to interchange my '80 two BMW 733i which i offered for $six hundred. '88 Volvo 240 wagon. My daughter drives it. basically exceeded attempt-purely smog in California. She drives it daily. '91 Toyota Tercel. I basically replaced the top gasket. It replaced into well worth fixing. '91 Honda Accord wagon. it rather is my daily motive force. interior the present challenge it ought to actual run 3 to 5 extra years. My each and every year maintenance bill for 5 autos is decrease than $1000. returned to my tale of woe approximately American autos. A kinfolk chum offered a clean Chrysler or ward off minivan. The transmission failed. They have been stranded on the area of the throughway. They now rigidity a Toyota minivan. stay and learn. - - - Subversive? for some years the only factor protecting the democratic occasion replaced into the hard work unions, exceedingly the autoworkers. the place do you think of human beings like bill Clinton get their votes?