Please explain Bible verses Psalm 118:5-6 and John 16:33?

Psalm 118:5-6

In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free.

The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.

What can man do to me?

John 16:33

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

The true deep meaning please.

Best Answer

In the Psalm that you quoted, I believe that the meaning is this:

That God's love endures forever and in him true refuge can be taken. The Psalmist in the verse says that the Lord set him free, and this can be taken in the literal sense (that his enemies were overcame and he was therefore free from their assault) and/or in the spiritual sense that the Lord has freed him from his fear of man (If the Lord is with you, who dare be against you?).

Psalm 118:5-6 basically means that in God we have a safe harbor where no man can touch us, though our enemies may surround us and assail us, but with the Lord with you, there is no need to fear what they can do, what the world can do because in him there is no fear because he is love and perfect love casts away all fear.

For the passage of John, I gather that in Jesus' farewell discourse he is preparing his disciples for a life without his humanly presence. His gives them comfort because they will soon be scattered to give the gospel to people and they will face trials.

But he gives the apostles peace in this task because he too has been scattered and will be killed by the world, but he has overcome it. He gives them his peace so they will not fear what men shall do to them, as in the Psalm.

• ynez

Psalm 118 6

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Psalm 118:5-6

What can man do to me?

John 16:33

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have...

Source(s): explain bible verses psalm 118 5 6 john 16 33: https://biturl.im/xHX5d

well psalms 118:5-6

God answers our prayers

John 14:14- If you ask anything in my name i will do it.

Whenever we in trouble,we cry to the Lord.and 'The Lord is with me'we also believed that the Lord is always with us,guiding us,protecting us wherever we go.We should not be afraid because we believe that he's there with us.

To add up- Jesus says 'He has taken the path. If you follow him, This will what happen ,you will come across difficulties,hardships etc but he says he will be there for you .

In front of you,beside you or even behind you,,protecting you always because he has walked on that path and he knows what your needs to complete your journey.

John 16:33

He said this to set us free(salvation) so we may have peace.True peace and happiness comes from Jesus Christ.Tribulation-what is happening as you can see,if you have been watching news but he has ovecome all this like i mentioned above.

Source(s): Pray before you read the bible.God will guide you to his words. JESUS is the Way,the Truth and the Life. God bless

Psalm 118:5-6 & John 16:33 (The way I understand it.)

As a true follower our identification with Christ is suffering. He has set us free through the atonement of His blood , to save us from eternal condemnation and with that we became His children. He who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it and is also able to keep us unspotted and blameless unto the last day because He is Risen and in His perfect time He will gather us to be with him in Heaven.

For Psalm 118:5, my Bible says: I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place. I think I like your version better!

Man is free, he has free will, he has choices. If you call on the Lord in distress, the Lord gives you the freedom to solve your own problem. It doesn't sound like much at first but if you think about it, that's really what you want, to be free, to have alternatives and options, and the brain to figure out how to solve your own problem.

That's what it means to me anyway.

The passage in John is another 'imminence' passage, a promise that the end times are coming very soon. The whole New Testament is peppered with these passages. So Jesus is saying that things will look bad, but have faith because Jesus is watching out for you.

• macie

Psalms 118:5-6 Even when you are in an impossible situation a believer can proclaim the Lord is on your side.and if so what can anyone do to you. If our trust is in the Lord's strength we do not have to fear.

John 16:33 Jesus was talking to His disciples. Jesus was talking of His death and going to His Father in heaven. He was telling them that they would suffer and have a hard time. (that was because they would be preaching Christ, the gospel and be persecuted for it.) He wanted them to know that so they could have peace within themselves. knowing Jesus was the truth. They understood that after the day of Pentecost when they received the holy spirit. Tribulation literally means pressure and figuratively means affliction be of good cheer means be confident and courageous When we place our trust in God, he can give us peace in the midst of pressure. Jesus overcame the pressures of this world they would overcome the world too.

Source(s): The Bible

these verses relate to each other very well.

We are bound by sin, we are bound by the trials and struggles of this world. There is always something we feel the need to cry out to the Lord about. We deal with offenses, physical illnesses, sadness and sorrow, poverty, death of loved ones, etc. We can keep our eyes focused on these things and be in bondage to the emotion that drives us and affects our choices and relationships -

or we can cry out to the Lord and know that though we might suffer these things in the physical, we can have true peace knowing that He has saved us, He will carry us through the trials of this world and that the trials of this world are not eternal.

Through Jesus, we have the strength to withstand the trials and allow them to teach us and edify us- through Jesus, these trials will not break us or hold us captive to their destructiveness. Jesus has authority over everything in this world and knowing Him is knowing peace and strength- we are saved and we will be with Him and when we are, our trials will be less than a faint memory and all that will remain is the peace that passes all understanding- the peace that knows that through all things, Jesus is Lord and no matter the circumstance, He reigns !

The first is a song of thanksgiving, deliverance and victory.

This would be David that wrote this.

What can man do to me? Many things, the Bible teaches there will be a day that we will have to chose man or God. Those that deny God will burn. So in essence man can make you go to hell if you are not careful.

The second is Jesus affirming his final victory before his death.

He is telling the crowd that his works have been done, he has taught them what they need to know to be able to be on their own. He knows he will die soon.

Source(s): NIV Study Bible

We were never promised an easy ride while on earth. In fact, we were promised the exact opposite. But these verses are good ones to cling to when all hope seems lost. God will always save you if you cry out for help, and is never far away. "I have overcome the world" refers to Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection that frees us from the bondage of our sins. Many falsely think that Christianity is stifling and brainwashing. But this is not true. Christ did not die on a cross to condemn us or lock us up in chains, but to free us from the very chains we lock ourselves into.