Think about what's in it for them? If they can make a profit that will be great. If you are just leaving brochures most small businesses are o.k. with that- it just depends. Here are some tips.
1. When you call on them, make sure you are dressed as a professional.
2. Get the name of the owner or the decision maker.
3. Ask for the decision maker and set an appointment (they
might want to meet with you on the spot).
4. Make sure your brochures are crisp- no bends.
5. Introduce yourself, thank them for meeting with you, ask If you can get 15 minutes of their time. Talk about your brochures and products and what you want them to do with them.
Make sure you know your products, and be prepared to answer questions.
If there is a profit for them let them know. i.e. Mr. Business man, thank you for meeting with me, I would like to show you how you can increase your profits by.... If you need more time during the meeting ask him/her is it o.k.
Think like a giant!
Be bold as a Lyon!
I hope this helps!