- A diet to prevent Cholecystitis should be low in fat and high in fibre. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, seeds, nuts, cereals and drink plenty of water. Fibre binds with bile in the digestive tract and promotes its production and removal from the body.
- Eat moderate amounts of low fat dairy products, lean meat and fish.
- Limit the intake of foods which are processed and high in sugar and saturated fats.
- Avoid all fried foods, spicy foods, margarine, soft drinks, commercial oils, chocolate and refined carbohydrates.
- Bitter foods (such as endives, chicory and the outer leaves of cos lettuce) stimulate bile secretion from the gallbladder and aid digestion.
- Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar may help emulsify fats.