sarting a senior portrait photography business...click to see more of my question?

I am a senior in high school and I have seen that for senior portraits it cost about $300 to $500. this type of deal only cost around $30 at walmart or costco to print a bunch of wallets, 8x10, 5x7, you name it. Photographers are making bank on a 1-2 hour photo shoot.

I would like to do senior portraits of my friends and make a little profit. I was thinking of charging $50 an hour. I am in photography, I have done it at school and in 4-H, won in photo shows, went to state and got first. I have a nice camera canon rebel digital. I don't have all the lighting equipment so I would shoot outdoors.

HOW DO I LEGALLY DO SENIOR PORTRAITS?? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO BE LEGAL??

WHAT SHOULD I CHARGE? ANY OTHER TIPS OR ADVICE FOR ME??

• Ben T
    Favorite Answer

Strictly speaking, there's no law that says you can't make a verbal agreement with someone to trade a service (such as photography) for money. You can say, "I'll do your senior photos for $100," and they can say "Sure" and hand you cash, and that's completely legal. But there are some things you can do to protect yourself and your customer in case of disagreement down the road.

It's pretty simple if you don't want to operate as a business. Here's my suggestion:

To make things simple, just charge a flat fee for the photo shoot, with the understanding that you will be giving them digital copies of the photos on a CD, and they can have prints made wherever they like. Write up a simple contract explaining what you will provide, what you charge, etc. Be sure to say that the customer will have full rights to the photos but that you will retain the right to use any of the photos in your portfolio, website, and ads for your photography business (thinking for the future here). If you decide to charge a flat fee, be sure to set some boundaries, such as saying you will shoot for at least an hour, but not more than 3, and maybe include some numbers of shots.

This is how my wedding photographer did it, and I was extremely happy with it.

But really, the contract isn't a huge deal if you're just doing a few of these for a relatively small amount of money.

Be sure to give yourself time to go through the photos to pick the best ones, touch them up, etc. Give them two copies of the CD, and keep your own backup.

That's about it. Be sure to report the income on your taxes.

Try Trick Photography Special Effects : http://tinyurl.com/ibu414lHzv