Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Labor poll?

In as little as two weeks and 5 days I'll be giving birth to my first child. I am trying to work out some of the jitters....

How many weeks pregnant were you when you gave birth to your first child?

If you have more then one child, how many weeks pregnant were you when you gave birth to subsequent children?

What was your first thought when you realized "it's time?"

How did you know for sure, "it's time?"

Did you water break?

Did you have an enema?

Did you have a catheter?

On a scale of 1-10 how painful would you say labor was?

Did you have an epidural?

Were you induced?

Did you have a c-section? If so, was it planned?

How many hours was labor?

Did you have an "activity" to pass the time (e.g. did you watch dvds, play cards, paint your toenails, etc?)

Did you have any complications? If so what were they?

Were you mean to your "coach?"

What's one thing that you would do differently if you could do it all over again?

Favorite Answer

Gave birth on due date!

I'm due today!

Excited!

How did you know for sure, "it's time?"

Started cramping! For a few hours just wondered what that weird little pain was that came about once an hour and lasted about 2 seconds...then 10 seconds...then 45 seconds...

Did you water break?

At the hospital; they broke it.

Did you have an enema?

No.

Did you have a catheter?

Yes

9

Did you have an epidural?

Yes, when I dilated to a 4

Were you induced?

They did give me Pitocin after awhile

No.

How many hours was labor?

10.5 hours

No way. Too much pain.

No.

Were you mean to your "coach?"

No, but should've been. My ex is an idiot.

Waited to find out the gender til birth...!

• How many weeks pregnant were you when you gave birth to your first child? 36 wks

Don't have other children YET

"Oh my god"

How did you know for sure, "it's time?" Oh believe me I KNEW... Bad stomach pain...

Did you water break? Yes my nurses broke it

Did you have an enema? Nope

Did you have a catheter? Yes

11

Did you have an epidural?

Oh yeah

Were you induced?

Nope

No

How many hours was labor?

Um... 9 hours

No I screamed til I got my epidural lol

Kind of. Just that I had abnormal and long contractions. Sort of early labor. My sons temperature wouldn't regulate.

Were you mean to your "coach?"

My husband was very understanding though. Yes i was very mean.

I would have tried a little harder to not get the epidural. And I wouldn't have went into labor 100+ miles from the hospital at a concert. True Story.

Source(s): 17 y/o mommy of 10 month old Xane Xzavier

37 1/2 weeks

n/a

I couldn't believe it - it was almost not real! lol

How did you know for sure, "it's time?"

when my water broke!

Did you water break?

yup - but at the hospital they said it was just a 'slow leak' so they technically had to break it then

Did you have an enema?

no, thank you!

Did you have a catheter?

nope

i'm terrible at rating - i remember thinking the contractions were very uncomfortable, but no part of it was painful - just lucky, i guess!

Did you have an epidural?

nope - nothing

Were you induced?

no

no

How many hours was labor?

no clue - wasn't paying attention! I got to the hospital around 6:30pm after water broke at home, had baby at around 2am

no need for that, things seemed to go pretty fast once the time came

nope

Were you mean to your "coach?"

no - my mom was a great help, my bf was just kinda 'there'

nothing I can think of! except maybe bring something to wear at the hospital other than the gowns they provide

How many weeks pregnant were you when you gave birth to your first child? He was one week late and I was induced.

If you have more then one child, how many weeks pregnant were you when you gave birth to subsequent children? My second was born on the day before her due date. Also induced.

What was your first thought when you realized "it's time?" I didnt. I was induced both times.

How did you know for sure, "it's time?" see above

Did you water break? They broke my water the first time. With my second pregnancy my water broke on its own.

Did you have an enema? nope

Did you have a catheter? both times

On a scale of 1-10 how painful would you say labor was? First one I would say about 8, second one was a 10 all the way.

Did you have an epidural? yes both times, and both times it wore off before it came time to push.

Were you induced? yes, both times.

Did you have a c-section? If so, was it planned? no c-sections

How many hours was labor? first one was 8 hours, second one was 10 hours.

Did you have an "activity" to pass the time (e.g. did you watch dvds, play cards, paint your toenails, etc?) nope. All I did was sleep while the epidural was working. Other then that it was too painful to concentrate on anything.

Did you have any complications? If so what were they? I had a blood clot during my second pregnancy and had to be on blood thinners.

Were you mean to your "coach?" no

What's one thing that you would do differently if you could do it all over again? I wish I would have had a better anesthesiologist for my epidurals.

Source(s): experience

I was 41 wks 5 days when labor began

I was excited and kind of nervous when it was time. I kept thinking "I can't believe it. Really?" the next contraction would come and I would get excited again but I tried to tell myself to relax and chill since I still had a ways to go.

I knew it was time because my contractions kept coming consistently even with change of activity, etc.

My forewaters broke in active labor but the big "goosh" didn't happen til I was at full dilation.

I did not have an enema or catheter.

Most of labor was a 5 on the pain scale; I could walk and talk through it although maybe with effort; I would say the most intense part was an 8 (which lasted all of 25 minutes)--it probably would have been a 9 or 10 if I had not had people around supporting me and pushing on my back but I never felt that the contractions were more than I could handle.

I did not have an epidural

I was not induced.

I did not have a c-section

I was in labor 40 hours (about 24 were hard work)

My favorite passing the time memories were opening up baby presents. My MIL had brought over a bunch of gifts and we spent much of my time between contractions during active labor opening presents. It really helped remind me of why I was going through the labor and that the baby was coming. I also went for walks. As labor got more intense I just enjoyed leaning against my husband.

I had a partial hemorrhage at the birth which was taken care of with a dose of pitocin and nursing the baby.

I was surprisingly polite and nice through the entire labor. I was half-smiling even at 8 cm which surprised me because I was expecting to be very seriuos.

I would probably have had a home birth with midwife looking back. Things went so smoothly and I could have helped direct my pushing more instead of having the nurse tell me how, when, and how long to push. That was my least favorite part of labor was the nurse insisting I do things her way when my body was not ready to do it.

I was 36 wks when i had my first son

I was 36 wks when i had my second son

With my first son I was scared and my first thought was am I going to make it to the hospital in time because it was over an hour away.

How did you know for sure, "it's time?"

The contractions and back labor was getting really close together. I was 2-3 minutes apart and they just weren't stopping

Did you water break?

No, the Dr broke my water when i was 7 cm dialated

Did you have an enema?

Nope

Did you have a catheter?

With my first son I had one shortly after the birth because I couldn't seem to pee but they put it in, emptied my bladder and removed it and I was fine after that. With my second son I didn't have one at all

10 lol seriously it was bad, i didn't use drugs so I felt every little bit of pain and I couldn't talk or breath through it

Did you have an epidural?

Nope

Were you induced?

Sorta, I was dialating on my own just fine with contractions but they considering having your water broke by the Dr a form of induction so sort of.

No I have never had a c-section.

How many hours was labor?

Early labor was about 20 hrs, active labor about 4 hrs

I was just in to much pain to do anything. I walked around and talked to my mom who was in the room.

My labor stalled for 2 hrs with my second son, we later found out it was because the cord was around his neck which was causing some problems but once the labor got going again it went fast.

Were you mean to your "coach?"

lol with my first yes lol My mom was my "coach" and I yelled at her a couple of times lol but with my second son I was overall nice lol

Get more rest the 2 wks prior to delivery, I was just so tired by the time the active labor hit.

How many weeks pregnant were you when you gave birth to your first child? i gave birth on the saturdya and i was due the next day on the sunday

What was your first thought when you realized "it's time?" right right ok im actually going to have a baby oh my god

How did you know for sure, "it's time?" my waters broke and after realising i had not wet myself lol i called the hosp and they asked me to come in

Did you water break? yes

Did you have an enema? ??? sorry i dunno what this is

Did you have a catheter? yes after i had my c section

On a scale of 1-10 how painful would you say labor was? i have a very low pain tolerance so 10, but worth it , i'd do it again

Did you have an epidural? yes

Were you induced? nope

Did you have a c-section? If so, was it planned? yes and no it was an emergency , as my labour wasnt prgressing and my baby was getting distressed

How many hours was labor? 14 hrs

Did you have an "activity" to pass the time (e.g. did you watch dvds, play cards, paint your toenails, etc?) no i bounced on a birthing ball, tried the pool, used chatted to my mum and the midwifes

Did you have any complications? If so what were they? yes i got to 7.5 cm dilated and wouldnt go any furhter then my baby was getting distressed so i had a emergency csection, i wasnt scared really as i knew that csection was the best option an baby wouldbe out quicker and safer

Were you mean to your "coach?"nope not at all, apart from i wouldnt llet my mum leave my side lol

What's one thing that you would do differently if you could do it all over again? emmm nothing at all actually , oh wait i would have eaten when they offered me toast when i first went into the labour ward, cos after a while i was starving and wasnt allowed to eat

41 weeks and one day.

N/A

Well, I was induced.

How did you know for sure, "it's time?"

See above.

Did you water break?

The doctor broke it for me.

Did you have an enema?

Thankfully, no.

Did you have a catheter?

Unfortunately, yes. Kinda goes along with getting an epidural.

Before I got the epidural (and when it began to wear off), I'd say about a 9, once the contractions got strong.

Did you have an epidural?

Yes.

Were you induced?

Yes.

Almost had to get one but thankfully avoided it.

How many hours was labor?

Almost 20 hours.

Watched tv ("America's Next Top Model" marathon), talked with my mom and boyfriend (and dad, when he came to visit), did crossword puzzles, took naps, etc.

The baby's head was too big to progress down the birth canal, and I also didn't dilate much for about 12 hours. It was because of that lack of progress that I almost had to get the c-section. Thankfully, I dilated enough at the last minute for them to decide to wait. I delivered my son vaginally, with the help of the vacuum, at 2:23am. He had the cord around his neck, but he's perfectly healthy.

Were you mean to your "coach?"

No. He was wonderful, as was my mother.

I would have asked for the c-section after 12 hours; that baby was not meant to pass through my birth canal.

I went in to labor 2 days before my due date, I felt cramping and it keep getting worse but the pain was not to bad, so I waited at home until the pain got intense to about a 6 or 7 on the scale and then went to the doctor at 8:30 p.m. when I go to the hospital I was dilated to about a 6 cm. I then I got a shot of Stadol and waited about an hour in a half and then got an epidural. And never felt any pain after I got the epidural. I had her at 1:53 a.m so i wasn't in labor to long. It was so easy and exciting. Now I'm 36 weeks prego with baby #2 and I hope it's going to be that easy again. Good luck just don't stress about it to much and let nature take it's course. O also no my water never broke the doctor popped my water bag right before I started pushing and yes I has a catheter right after I got the epidural.

I have 4 children. Well, 2 sets. 8 years apart.(31,30,23,20). I too was very nervous with the 1st child. I have never gone over 5 hours of hard labor. the last 2 I had a Dr that didn't like to deliver medicated babies so my last 2 pregnancies were natural. If I new then what I know now I would have had the 1st 2 that way also. They also have a higher apgar when they are born. Yes, I was a little mean to my coaches. My husband and my mother on the last 2.