Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Why do many people frown on work Unions? They helped me alot?

Unions are good in the following way.

Their was one time when they called me into work, then when I got their, they told me they didn't need me anymore. I called the Union and got paid for 4 hours, and I didn't even work. I got paid 4 hours and didn't even have to do anything. Their was also a time when they made me go home 1 hour early and I didn't want to, I called union and got paid for it. Their were a few times when they were late for giving me break, called the Union and they made sure that they give me my breaks on time. Their was also time when they had me do physically labor, which was outside my job description, called union and they never made me do that again. My question is, why are unions so bad, they are always on the workers side and always look out for are best intrest.

Their are a few people their that don't like to call the Union, which I can't understand why, they keep management in line.

Unions also made it harder to get fired. I know someone that came to work drunk, got fired, called the Union and got off with a suspension.

• Pami
    Favorite Answer

here are the reasons I do not like Unions:

1. its hard to fire people. If someone is not doing their job, you have to go through all that bs to fire them. its not fair to the other workers who actually do their jobs.'

2. everyone gets an equal raise. i think everyone should get a raise if the cost of living goes up. however, i believe yearly raises should be based on performance. again, this is not fair to the people that are hard working.

3. everyplace i have worked at that has had a union, they have abused their power.

i think unions had their place years ago, but these days, they just encourage workers to be lazy. why do more than you have to if you will still be treated the same as the harder workers?

Unions had their place in this country yrs ago.

They were a necessity then & remain so today.

The biggest downside to unions is the graft & corruption within the bigger unions.

Nowadays, unions have lost their power & can be seen in courts as not performing their jobs as the equalizer for the common worker.

Unions have demanded too much from employers in the recent past. In this world economy, cheap labor is the holy grail. No company wants a union interfering with that company's abuse of the workforce.

When unions finally loose their last foothold, you'll see workplace abuse the likes of which haven't been seen in the last 50 yrs.

It's coming because there's too many people out there that have been screwed by their union's ineptitude in representing them & the graft at the top.

Like the previous person said, you kind of answered your own question. They make it hard to fire people. If you can't be fired, then what is your motivation to work well? I think that you should get paid something if you're called in and sent home when you get there. In that case, the union did what it was supposed to do. It advocated for you to have fair treatment at the work place. But so many times a union steps beyond it's original intent.

My mom had to join a union in one of her jobs. This union donated some of their union dues to causes my mother found morally objectionable. This cause had NOTHING to do with advocating for the workers either. And she couldn't do a darned thing about it.

Unions did a lot of good in the past. they helped with wages, hours and a lot more.. But in todays world in america they have done all they can do..Now all it is is a way for an attorney to make money (your dues).

Just like a union keeps people on a pay scale (right??) . Well if your the hard working kind (like me), and the guy next to you jacks off all day, well he makes the same as you but you do more work, a union protects him. Now me, the way i see it, if im a harder worker i think i should make more that him. With out a union i can request a higher pay for myself.

I dont no, You tell me??

Well, it's obvious why upper management and stockholders don't like unions: They fight for worker's rights, which means generally that the company ends up paying higher wages and giving better benefits.

Here are some reasons why an average worker wouldn't like a union: Sometimes unions are "in bed" with the upper management. Some unions consolidate with related unions, which means that each individual has less of a voice. And a lot of people don't like their union dues paying for political candidates that they don't agree with.

Unions have good points. However you got to look at the big picture. Why does the United States have a Rust Belt? Why did 90% of our manufacturing jobs go offshore or to Mexico? Because of the unions. We had good wages and benifits and when that Idiot Klinton signed NAFTA all the manufacturing jobs went south. I used to make wiring harnesses for a major U.S. auto maker. Now those wires are twisted in Mexico and sent to as factory in Mexico for final assembly. The Mexican who does my job makes a day what I got in 3 hours. Plus he has limited health care and no retirement...Think about this before you vote for that witch

YOU JUST ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION. THEY SEE

THE UNION PROTECT THE GUY HOW COMES TO WORK DRUNK AND PAY THE GUY THAT DOESN'T WORK.

MOST WORKERS ARE TO YOUNG TO UNDERSTAND ALL

OF THE RIGHTS THAT THEY HAVE DUE TO UNIONS.

FAIR PAY FOR FAIR WORK IS A TWO WAY STREET.

It is the desire of every person to be effective in all his aims. Everyone wishes to have a good life without any concerns and stress.