Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why does my dog try to cover up her pee and poop on the ground after she goes to the bathroom?

Every time she goes to the bathroom outside, she tries to cover whatever she let out on the ground with leaves and sticks by stratching the ground with her back legs...I was just wondering what this behavior means..

Favorite Answer

This behavior is natural in dogs. They cover up their "waste" so that an enemy does not find them, from the scent of the poop or pee. It is an instinct handed down from wolves, who hid their scent by covering up their feces in leaves, sticks, soil, or other nearby natural materials. They also rolled in animal carcasses to hide the scent of them. Your dog is just using her natural instinct to protect herself from predators.

Another things that dogs do, called marking, is when the dog pees in a certain area. They do not cover it up, as it is marking a territory as their own. Male dogs usually do this on trees, wooden posts, furniture, and other things. Female dogs do this in heat. Dogs do not poop to mark something, only pee. When you dog pees or poops and then covers it up, this does not mean she is marking her territory. Just wanted to add it so you don't get confused. :)

Dogs will do this do kick about the smell so that other dogs can catch wind of it and know that shes there and it's his property. Its territorial marking, totally normal. Don't be surprised if your dog will pee/poop right over another dogs business spot and then do the same thing, shes marking it as her.

Well I know I never want anyone seeing my poop or pee so maybe shes reserved like some people are lol.

That's totally normal. My dog used to do it too.

She wants to make sure no other animals can track her down or scent her out

• Soul T

So no other dog can discover who she is and that she was there....

• Me

shes clean or she thinks ull get mad. is ur dog intimidated by u wen u call ur dog does it come with his head down? show more love