promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what week in preganacy does the lungs fully devolop?

Im high risk preganacy and have to have a plan csec

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The last month is when they fully develop. My last son was born at 37 weeks and they were concerned about his lungs. They did an amnio to confirm they were fully developed. My daughter was born at almost 35 weeks but I had steriod shots while pregnant with her, so her lungs were fine. My first was born at 29 weeks and put on a vent. But he was given artificial surfactant and was off the vent within 48 hours.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The baby isn't considered full term until about 37 weeks, and that's because it often takes that long for the lungs to develop. There are births before 37 weeks, and the baby is just fine. If they have to do a c-section before the baby is full-term they may give you something to try and develop the baby's lungs more rapidly.

• 1 decade ago

Generally, that depends on the sex of the baby. Boys lungs develop faster than a girls, but most babies should only be taken no earlier than 37 wks if it can be avoided. Now, in twins, the risk of premature delivery is higher. With advancements in Neo Natal care, babies who are delivered even as premature as 26 wks can have a greater chance of survival.

• 1 decade ago

My dr told me after 24 weeks, if the baby comes out , its ok and survive.

I think lungs r fully developed in 37 weeks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Week 36 or 37. If your doc. is worried he will give you medication to help the lungs develop more quickly.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the lungs are fully developed at 36 weeks but if you have diabetes it can take a bit longer, my 1st was also high risk and they gave me steroids to mature the lungs

• 1 decade ago

They are the last thing to develop fully. If you have to deliver early they can give you a steroid shot to help the lungs along.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They told me 32-34 weeks with the twins, BUT I had them at 38 weeks and my little girl's lung capacity was barely there.

• 1 decade ago

The lungs and heart develop during the first month of pregnancy.

• in most cases the 8th month~!!~

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.