Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

during the year of 1973 &4 what was going on with the watergate scandal?

can they be in order if possible?


i don't need detailed answeres

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    The men who broke into the office were tried and convicted in January 1973. All seven men were either directly or indirectly employees of President Nixon's Campaign to Re-elect the President, CREEP, and many people, including the trial judge, John J. Sirica, suspected a conspiracy involving higher-echelon government officials. In March 1973, James McCord wrote a letter to Judge John J. Sirica charging a cover up of the burglary. His letter transformed the affair into a political scandal of unprecedented magnitude.

    On April 30, 1973, Nixon was forced to ask for the resignation of two of his most influential aides, H. R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman, both of whom were indicted and ultimately went to prison. He also fired White House Counsel John Dean, who had just testified before the Senate and went on to become the key witness against the President.

    On the same day, Nixon appointed a new Attorney General, Elliot Richardson, and gave him authority to designate, for the growing Watergate inquiry, a special counsel who would be independent of the regular Justice Department hierarchy, to preserve his independence. On May 19, 1973, Richardson named Archibald Cox to the position. Televised hearings had begun two days before.

    The hearings held by the Senate Committee, in which Dean was the star witness and in which many other former key administration officials gave dramatic testimony, were broadcast from May 17 to August 7, 1973, causing devastating political damage to Nixon.

    On July 13, 1973, Donald Sanders, the Deputy Minority Counsel, asked Alexander Butterfield in discovery if there were any type of recording systems in the White House. Butterfield answered that, though he was reluctant to say so, there was a system in the White House that automatically recorded everything in the Oval Office.

    Cox's refusal to drop his subpoena led to the "Saturday Night Massacre" on October 20, 1973, when Nixon compelled the resignations of Richardson and deputy William Ruckelshaus in a search for someone in the Justice Department willing to fire Cox. This search ended with Solicitor General Robert Bork (years later a failed nominee for U.S. Supreme Court Justice).

    Allegations of wrongdoing prompted Nixon to famously state "I am not a crook" in front of 400 startled Associated Press managing editors on the grounds of Disney's Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida on November 17, 1973.

    The issue of access to the tapes went to the Supreme Court. On July 24, 1974, in United States v. Nixon, the Court (which did not include the recused Justice Rehnquist) ruled unanimously that claims of executive privilege over the tapes were void, and they further ordered him to surrender them to Jaworski. On July 30, 1974, he complied with the order and released the subpoenaed tapes. Their contents were revealed, and Nixon resigned 10 days later.

    On January 28, 1974, Nixon campaign aide Herbert Porter pleaded guilty to the charge of lying to the FBI during the early stages of the Watergate investigation. On February 25, 1974, Nixon's personal lawyer Herbert Kalmbach pleaded guilty to two charges of illegal election-campaign activities. Other charges were dropped in return for Kalmbach's cooperation in the forthcoming Watergate trials.

    On March 1, 1974, former aides of the President, known as the Watergate Seven — Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell, Charles Colson, Gordon C. Strachan, Robert Mardian and Kenneth Parkinson — were indicted for conspiring to hinder the Watergate investigation. The grand jury also secretly named Nixon as an unindicted co-conspirator.

    On April 7, 1974, the Watergate grand jury indicted Ed Reinecke, Republican lieutenant governor of California, on three charges of perjury before the Senate committee. On April 5, 1974, former Nixon appointments secretary Dwight Chapin was convicted of lying to the grand jury.

    The House Judiciary Committee voted 27 to 11 on July 27, 1974 to recommend the first article of impeachment against the President: obstruction of justice. The second (abuse of power) and third (contempt of Congress) articles were passed on July 29, 1974 and July 30, 1974, respectively.

    Nixon decided to resign. In a nationally televised address on the evening of August 8, 1974, he announced he would resign, effective at noon Eastern Time on Friday, August 9, 1974. Though Nixon's resignation prompted Congress to drop the impeachment proceedings, criminal prosecution was still a possibility. He was immediately succeeded by Gerald Ford, who on September 8, 1974, issued a pardon for Nixon, immunizing him from prosecution for any crimes he may have committed as President. Nixon proclaimed his innocence until his death.

    The remaining five members of the Watergate Seven indicted in March went on trial in October 1974.

    Accusations of a secret "deal" made with Ford, promising a pardon in return for Nixon's resignation, led Ford to testify before the House Judiciary Committee on October 17, 1974.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I'll try to keep this simple-men employeed by Nixon's 1972 re-election campaign got caught inthe Watergate Building in Wash D.C. illegally wiretapping Democratic offices. Pres Nizon(this is what really did him in) spent the next year attempting to cover up the crime, which evidence shows he had clear knowledge of after the fact. It took Congress 2 yrs to reachthe point of impeachment-during that time span, Nixon &his attornys attemtpted to make the prolonged defense that, by exec privledge, Nixon was exempt from turning over evidence, (in the form of the audio tapes that nailed Nixon's guilt) Eventually, Nixon knew he couldfight no more, wasgoing to be removed form office, and vol resigned.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    When President Nixon was running for reelection, he told his Campaign to Reelect President Nixon (CRP or CREEP as the liberal media called it) to get him reelected. Since Nixon ran his office in a hierarchial structure, his orders got interperated in a way that he did not entend. The men who bugged the headquarters were caught with 'crisp $100 bills' and were sent to jail. When Nixon was informed of what had happened, he was advised to admit to the coverup (which he had no knowledge of prior to the commission of the crime) and criticise the action of CRP. He decided to keep silent, citing that it would dishonor the White House if he didn't. Eventually top White House officials resigned or were impeached and several went to prison. Nixon resigned when it was clear that he would not only be impeached, but convicted as well. Gerald Ford, who Nixon appointed as vice president, became the first and only president to have never been elected. He was criticiesed for pardoning Nixon.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.