Why is Nero only burning at 2.4X?

DVDs used to burn at 8x but for a long time now it has only been 2.4x

The dvds are TDK DVD+R 1-16x

Best Answer

I have seen this before. Is your blank media RW or a plain ordinary R? Try another brand, I recommend a good quality one, not Verbatum or Memorex or an off brand. My favorites are TDK, Sony, and Imation. I have had mixed results with Maxell, but usually good.

Nero does not limit the speed, it is the burner and the media that limit it.

Your burner sounds like an old one. You can get new ones for around $30 on sale some times. It might be worth upgrading. The newer ones will work with a wider variety of blank media. They are usually also more reliable.

P.S. The blank media you now say you are using is one of my favorites. Even though it is an excellent one, there can be incompatabilities with a particular model of burner. There can even be incompatabilities because of the individual burner or it's firmware.

If this was my burner, I would update the firmware, just to see what it does. I would also be prepared to replace the burner if the firmware upgrade caused a problem. It seldom does, but it can happen. Your burner is old, the disks are a new design, new drives are cheap.

Source(s): Lots of years doing computer support.
  • RKP

You bought a DVD whose max burn rate is 2.4. This maybe the problem or it is just that you accidentally set the speed too low. Check ur DVD it will tell you the burnrate. If it is 2.4 that is the reason, if it isn't than chech your settings and change it to whatever the rate is listed on the dvd.

because you bought the cheaper dvd whose maximum speed is 2.4