Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Ends Justify means?

Im your opinion do ends justify means? or should moral, and ethical ways of doing this matter more. Please support with some kind of example, whether it be historical, personal ect.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • anita
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no the ends do not justify the means.

the goal is to catch a drug dealer so is it ok to shoot up the entire neighborhood. NO!

Yea u might have caught the bad guy, but u hurt a lot of good people too.

That is just a saying that people use to justify their own actions. So that they don't have to face anyones questions.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think it is a matter of accessing each situation and seeing which is the greater good. For example, the American decision to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima killed thousands of innocent Japanese women and children. However it ended the war, and saved American soldiers from potential death. So in this case the ends being the end of ww2 and the saving of countless years of war may have justified the means. But that is only my opinion.

• 1 decade ago

As with any ethical question, there's no real clear cut answer. If you had to sacrifice one innocent child to cure all disease, would you? Some say yes, some say no. So I don't think you can ask if the end justifies the means overall, all you can ask is does the end justify the means in your opinion?

• Blue
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No, ends should not justify the means, and ethics do certainly matter.

A world wide example and one of historical and common day significance are wars...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It depends on the means and the ends...

You dont want your kidds growing up being spoiled brats so you spank them when theyre bad....

and yes you want to catch the drug dealer but not at the cost of shooting up the neighborhood...

the proper means to an end must be in acceptable proportion to keep on the side or right and not just the lesser of two evils

• JYogi
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

That is a blanket question and no answer can cover every situation... Sometimes yes and sometimes no...

Life isn't always fair.

• 1 decade ago

Its Karma - what goes around comes around

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it depends on the ends.

• 1 decade ago

I agree with Anita...... very good examples!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.