Does Windows XP Pro (32bit) support quad core proccessors?

I currently have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 in my Xp Pro 32bit Machine.

Xp recognizes the processor and my computer runs flawlessly.

But Ive been told that my computer is only using 2 of those 4 cores.

Is this true?

Favorite Answer

Windows XP Pro not only supports quad core processors, but it also supports two of em (like in Skulltrail).

However, the current standard is that most programs on the market can utilize only two cores at the most, very few can effectively use quad core processors.

This is not to say that Windows itself doesn't. Windows works with it just fine. Its just that most programs you'd run otherwise don't.

If you do audio/video encoding/decoding, 3D graphical work, or even play a couple of quad-enabled games like Assassin's Creed or Unreal Tournament 3, you have a distinct advantage over people using dual core processors.

Every other scenario gives you either no advantage, or even a disadvantage to dual core due to lower clock speeds.

You can run XP on a quad core, but it is nowhere near optimized. Start doing heavy loads and XP will load up core 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, and be too dumb to offload stuff to the un-taxed cores. Thats the price people pay for using high end hardware on legacy operating systems.

no no. Windows Xp completely supports quad core processors . I also have a core 2 quad 2.4 ghz and it works perfectly. It utilizes all 4 units

No that is not true unless you turned the other 2 cores off in the BIOS. You can get to the BIOS, depending on the manufacturer, by pressing DELETE, F2 or F11 or F1 when your PC is booting up. XP supports Quad core processors

Source(s): I have one myself

No, XP will recognize Quad core processors and it will run smoothly with it. The best thing I would suggest is to go to your browers and do a search for XP sidebar gadgits and look for a CPU meter that shows the different cores and what % of usage each one are using. That way you can see each core and what they are doing.

yup. as it was said somewhere else, if you run too many system intensive tasks though it starts to get choppy. Use task manager, to spread out the cores, and put all your system tasks on one core(shouldnt need a whole one to itself) then set your commonly used programs (with low mem usage, like internet browsers etx...) to another core, and then when ou run an intensive application, leave the other cores free.Takes a lot of messing about to get it right, but if you find the right mix It can make a 15-20% performance increase.

But on what you were told, I would say it probably only is using 2 of the cores as it only needs them. Still nice to spread it out though.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axV1m

Yes windows xp pro does support them the only thing it may not support is large hard drives depending on what bit it is.