Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

when people assume you are a bimbo?

I dyed my natural long blonde hair red, one of the reasons was that i wanted to be taken more seriously ( I also suit red hair).

I am interested in serious issues, but I am also very girly and like make up and so forth.

how can one be less bimbo like?

Thanks for the replies, but i act like a bimbo, I do not mean to, it just comes out.

In the line of work i wanna do it has to stop.

I am not thick, but i need to be to be less bimbo like.

I want to practice in social welfare law.

It is important that people take ne seriously.

Favorite Answer

I don't think people judge a bimbo by their hair.

In the workplace it usually involves clothes that are too revealing for the situation, too much makeup for daytime - especially eye makeup, an artificially high or breathy voice, inappropriate sexual references, and acting like a child. (Not too intelligent, can't do much for herself.)

If you're not a bimbo then you're not a bimbo so don't worry about what others think of you. No matter who you are or what you look like you're going to be judged by others. I used to work in a very small office and the heffer brigade hated me for no reason other than the fact that I'm young and blonde and so naturally I was going to try to sleep with their husbands. Whatevs. They're idiots and haters are just fans anyway. You are who you are and you don't have to apologize for that to anyone, least of all a bunch of insipid dolts.

Actually, I think I know what you mean.

Workplace attire can make a big difference and maybe that isn't fair ~ I'm sure you are just as smart and capable as the next person. But nevertheless, people do tend to judge a book by its cover.

Check out the people at the top of your field and decide who is the most conservative and who is the least ... pick a style somewhere in between and stick to it.

Find a balance that allows you to express your own personality (for example, through jewellery or accessories), starting maybe with wearing your hair up.

Keep your more fashionable and fun attire for weekends and outside working hours.

After all, you are not at work to express your individuality, but to do your job.

Be smart enough to play the game until you are in a position where the rules no longer apply to you, then do as you like.

Best wishes :-)

Don't dress like a bimbo. You can look girly and well made-up without looking like a bimbo.

Don't talk like a bimbo - don't say "like" or "OMG" at every opportunity or people will think you're an airhead. LOL

Don't act like a bimbo.

I'd say you are probably already doing just fine. You never sound like a bimbo when you type here!

I am blonde too. And likewise to you I also wear a lot of makeup and like girly things. So, in order to not come off as a bimbo you just have to not act like one. Don't be gullible, don't laugh at stupid things, and don't constantly say, "What? I don't get it." Try to let your intelligence shine through in your words and your actions and not just in your school work or office work. There is no way that if you do all these things you will still appear as a bimbo.

"Bimbo" - do people even use that word anymore?

With so many women in the workforce today, most people know that makeup, long hair and feminine attire no longer equal stupidity.

If somebody assumes a woman is less intelligent, it's probably because of how she acts - not because she wears lip gloss.

A friend of me, has the same problem, altough she's burnette and has a Master of Science degree and is starting P.H.D. studies. I would say her problem to not be taken seriously (She has loose more than one job for this reason), is because she's so childish also, so she seems not to have a brain. I think the fact she comes from a wealthy family and know all the enterteinment gossips, has nothing to do.

if you're a head-turner, underplay it instead of advertising it. try to find a balance in the way you're perceived - by both your looks AND by your words. Don't come across as cutesy, silly, easy, or a simpleton. be direct, make good eye contact, provide a firm handshake, and think before you speak. confront innuendos - don't let folks walk away thinking you're a bimbo.

Read "The Beauty Myth" by Naomi Wolf. It will help you stop acting like a bimbo.

Having blond hair and liking makeup do not make anyone a bimbo. It is more a reflection of how one carries oneself.