Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

I had a hysterectomy at 32 and since then have had problems losing weight.?

I am 5'9 and used to be very thin. I have always ate right, and exercise was routine for me. I work out 3-5 days a week for approximately 2-3 hours, this does not include other daily activities like taking the stairs instead of the elevator and walking instead of driving.. I do taebo, I run and I go on long distance walks, I lift light weights for toning. My diet is very good. I eat healthy, I count my calories and fat grams. I eat a lot vegetables, fish, fruits etc. My weight continues to go up and I never lose a pound. It is very hurtful and frustrating for me to do all this and I dont get any results. It has been 5 years since the hysterectomy and I hve went to several doctors about this and they just dismiss me. They try to put me on antidepressants like that is gonna help with my weight loss. I cant get no type of help with this problem. I work out so much I feel dizzy and want to pass out. I go to bed hungry every night. Please help.

Also I had blood work done they say my thyroid is ok even though I have a cut across my throat for surgery. The doctor removed a cyst from my thyroid but I was never placed on thyroid medication. The thyroid is still there. I also have a few hairs growing under my chin which is odd for me because I am not a hairy person. Please please help.

• Tim J
    Favorite Answer

Sounds medical in nature...

First, chances are that your lower estrogen levels is causing lower HGH numbers. Or said another way, you are prematurely aging. Typically you can see this in the face of an individual. Are there advanced wrinkling for your age? Maybe thinner skin than you would expect?? Treatment for this is a little more problematic because it will require Hormone Replace Therapy (HRT) to correct. With your young age, I strongly doubt there will be increased risk for cancer, but this is something you will have to discuss with your doctor further.. Keep in mind that reduced HGH levels is why most older people gain weight. Meaning, HGH converts to a compound called IGF-1 in the liver, and it is responsible for all growth in the body...

Next, I would recommend having a thyroid blood panel run.... Make sure your TSH numbers are in the 2 range... If they are in the 4 range, then they need to be brought down. Also, expect your GP to tell you that "Its borderline, but normal".. Dont accept this... Also, if this is found to be true, make sure they put you on Armour Thyroid and not Synthroid.

The increase in hair is caused by increased progesterone and testosterone levels which are being produced at your adrenals. Meaning, since your estrogen levels have come down due to your hysterectomy, you are now becoming more Progesterone dominate. By the way, this is also why you see mustaches in older women...

In short, I strongly suspect that your issues are HGH in nature... HRT can help... If that is not the path you want to take, you can also take about 10 grams of an amino acid called GABA (powdered form) right as you are going to bad on an empty stomach. Doing this over a 8 to 10 week period will make a big difference in your HGH levels...

Good Luck and I Hope this helps..

Honey I can relate to your problem...I am 35 and I had a hysterectomy 8/16/06. I am heavier than I have ever been in my life. I admire your motivation for eating right and exercising...I have absolutely NO motivation. I mean I really want to get back in shape, but most of the time I feel tired and depressed. My doctor to gave me antidepressants, and I admit that they help me with my mood swings but they have not helped me loose weight. I know I am supossed to be answering your question, but I have to ask how do you stay motivated to do what you are doing? I would although tell you that maybe you should talk to your doctor about getting your thyroid checked out. That could be the problem. I pray for you that thats not the issue, and you just keep doing what your doing. God bless you & good luck.

measure out what you re eating

• Lonnie

a mediterranean diet not only comes with heart benefits studies show it leads to more weight loss than low fat diets

invest in a standing desk like the ergotron workfit s 379 ergotron com or get crafty and raise your monitor and keyboard with books

• Rocky

tired of eating your salad on a plate fill a whole wheat pita with salad and a splash of lemon for a twist

Keep a food journal and weight yourself regularly to track your progress

cool down with 20 minutes of white water rafting in the nearby tongariro river

Eat brown rice instead of white

replace a wrap with two low carb whole wheat slices of bread