Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 1 decade ago

17 year old, tattoo, no parents consent. 19 year old consent?

my boyfriend and i want to get tattoos together. he's 19, and i'll be 17 in june. by then i wont be living with my parents, we'll be living together. will i be able to get a tattoo and just have him sign for me? also, is it a dumb idea if we get matching tattoos? its not anything like eachothers initials or anything like that.. its this:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/images/everlastingloved...

small, maybe 1inches by 3inches, on my shoulder or hip.

thanks!

i live in ontario, canada.

i think that the legal age when you can get a tattoo on your own is 18.

my sister and a bunch of her friends got them when they were in grade 12.

he also knows a tattoo artist we could go to.

i hope that helps you help me! :)

Favorite Answer

Unless he's your legal guardian, I doubt he could sign for you and you'd need to wait as normal until 18. Personally, I'd hold off - lots of stress when moving in together, let alone for the first time (which I'm assuming considering your age). Even if it's a few months, get past the initial "honeymoon" period always followed by the "morning after" time when you both realize no one is perfect & you do indeed have some ways you annoy each other no matter how much you're in love.

I know, you didn't ask for this advice, but speaking from vaguely similar experience take one stressful thing at a time. Might even be a nice one year anniversary thing, and then you avoid the 18 year old limitation altogether.

Best of luck to you.

I am 17, also living in Ontario, Canada.

I got a month ago without parental consent.

You boyfriend cannot sign for you, you can't get one legally, but I assure you there's going to be at least one place nearby where they won't I.D. you. Unless you look really young for your age.

Not that it's a good thing to get one underage, but hey, I love my tattoo, and you know what? I was going to get matching ones with a guy friend of mine. It's not stupid as long as you don't get something that will remind you of your love, because then if you break up, you'll have a constant reminder. Ouch.

Good luck, be safe though, don't go to a dirty place just so you can get a tattoo. Find a clean place, or a freelance artist who will do it at his/her home.

• Sherry3 years agoReport

hey im 17 from toronto! I have a family member who's not a parent or guardian but is over 18. Where can I go for a tat that doesn't ID? Any connection?

No. Neither will work. First of all if it were legal, you'd have to have your parent or legal guardian be there in person to consent for you, it couldn't just be your friend, and you mom couldn't mail/fax/or call the shop. But in fact, minors cannot be tattooed in California regardless of consent, it's illegal.

• Jenova

at the age of 17, you are STILL a child, whether you're living with your parents or not. if your boyfriend was to become your legal guardian, THEN he could sign for you. other than that, until you are 18, your PARENTS must sign for it and be there for the actual tattoo.

and PLEASE, if you are going to get a tattoo, wait it out. it's only 1 year and it won't kill you. it may kill you (or at least put you in serious danger) if you go to a shop where they don't care how old you are. these people are called scratchers and have NO business calling themselves aritsts.

Source(s): 8 tattoos and counting. all done legally and by professional artists.

no, he cant sign for you, the only people that can sign for you are your parents or legal guardians. and matching tattoos, well, the only downside to that is that if someday you two broke up you will have a constant memory right there on your skin forever.

Uhhh, no. Think about it- why would a tattoo shop care if a friend consents to your tattoo? Your boyfriend is not your parent.

i doubt he will be able to sign for you because he will not be your legal guardian, but it depends on the laws where you live. i think matching tats is so much better than initials. you can forget that he has the same tattoo alot easier than you can forget his initials scribbled across your arm or whatev.

• no he can't consent for you. Well I know where i live he can't. Matching tattoos is better than names, but i wouldn't recomend it. Also think about what you want a long time before you get it.

Unless he is gonna be your legal guardian you'll probaly still need your parents consent. And since its not his name, i dont think its a bad idea, unless its gonna cause you some pain if you shall ever break up.