70% chance I will be laid off by July?

So right now I'm a Project Manager for a marketing firm. The economy is taking a toll on us and there are going to have to be layoffs down the road. I worked my way up from a field rep, to project manager. All of my co-workers have business degrees and whatnot, but since I was promoted based on my work, i'm afraid I won't be able to get another job, because I don't have a degree. Do you think I should maybe go to college part time to get a degree or do you think It would be possible to get a job like I have right now with no college education, just experience?

Favorite Answer

In the near term, a class or 2 will have no benefit to getting a new job. In fact many companies hire based upon proven experience not a degree. Degree is a good way to get in the door with no experience.

My advice, cut you spending to the bone and pile up as much cash as possible. Start to network so that more people know your alive and available. Identify every possible employer in the area and think about what you have to offer and how to market that skill. Get your resume up to date. Have frequent conversations with your spouse (if any) as to how to address such issues as mobility and that job hunting is a full time job. In other words get ready.

One you have a job consider getting some education or other training that will enhance your marketability promoteability. Just remember if you can do and others may not be able to you are more valuable than the other guy.

I am the same way. I worked my up from clerk to senior accountant, and stopped school because I had the dream job. Then my husband's job transferred him.....

You can't go wrong by getting more education. Also, start job hunting now.

You might find a job with similiar responsibilities in smaller companies, but they won't pay as much. College grads do indeed make more money.

• Micki

Don't quit your job yet. You should go back to school though. Sometimes, the colleges will give you 'credit' for your current work (thus eliminating extra classes). Go talk with an admissions counselor and see what is available. You don't say where you live - location plays a big part as well.

once you've gotten the position, the educational background should be irrelevant, your recent job performance should have more bearing on keeping your job or getting a new one