Anya asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Soviet Union Questions?

These questions are for my homework for my Goverment class. please dont answer saying i should do the work myself, its annoying. any info you have would be great though! thanks~ I'm supposed to write about the following bullets (this is exactly what my teacher wrote on the sheet):

- The Soviet Union - 1990

- Soviet Union nearing end under Gorbacheo - why?

- Soviet Union ceases to exist in 1991

- Now called Russia- what type of goverment?/what is a common wealth?

Easter European nations under communism

-trace actions in poland/ what happened there

-why is poland known as Birthplace of Solidarity

-descrive polands pattern to reach some democracy in other countries- Czechoslovakia, Romania

** I mean Gorbachev, not Gorbacheo xD

Favorite Answer

Oct.1956 Hungry, Poland rise up against Soviet rule thousands killed.

Czechoslovakia, 1968 Soviets Crush Prauge Spring, under Alexander Dubczek

1979-83 Solidarity born at Gdansk ship yards, leaders arrested tortured etc. until 85+/- then upon release due to world pressure,Weakened Government under Wojciech Jaruzelski gives consessions etc. Lech Walesa, and many others faced hard times and My friend Rizyard Rachunek was also a leader, he was badly tortured and died in Calfiornia, 1990 at the age of 47, he looked about 70 and I thought he was at least 60, a brilliant man who spoke 8 languages, worked as a janitor to feed his family, but his passion and fortitude was a gift. RIP. I spent several years involved with Solidarity and the anti communist movement, and made many good friends,....

The survival of Solidarity was an unprecedented event not only in Poland, a satellite state of the USSR ruled (in practice) by a one-party Communist regime, but the whole of the Eastern bloc. It meant a break in the hard-line stance of the communist Polish United Workers' Party, which had bloodily ended a 1970 protest with machine gun fire (killing dozens and injuring over 1,000), and the broader Soviet communist regime in the Eastern Bloc, which had quelled both the 1956 Hungarian Uprising and the 1968 Prague Spring with Soviet-led invasions.

Solidarity's influence led to the intensification and spread of anti-communist ideals and movements throughout the countries of the Eastern Bloc, weakening their communist governments. The 1989 elections in Poland where anti-communist candidates won a striking victory sparked off a succession of peaceful anti-communist revolutions in Central and Eastern Europe[2] known as the Revolutions of 1989 (Jesień Ludów). Solidarity's example was in various ways repeated by opposition groups throughout the Eastern Bloc, eventually leading to the Eastern Bloc's effectual dismantling, and contributing to the collapse of the Soviet Union, in the early 1990s

Your assignment covers a lot of ground.Too much to answer here.No harm giving a few clues though Try wikipedia.com.It is very good on Gorbachev but you will need to follow other links to cover the Eastern European routes to democracy.

The Soviet Union was on its last legs when he came along in 1985 promising reconstruction - ’perestroika’.But he had a legacy of 70 years of Communist rule and an economically and politically impoverished country.

By 1990 Soviet satellite countries had decided to take advantage of the abandonment of the Brezhnev doctrine.The doctrine held that USSR would intervene militarily in any ‘socialist’ country where socialism was ‘under threat’ The USSR had acted on this idea in 1957 in Hungary and in 1968 in Czechoslovakia.In the 1990 countries in the Soviet Empire decided it was safe to try independence and democracy.By 1991 it was all over.See Berlin Wall( fall of).

The Poles have a long and antagonistic history with Russia and Solidarnosc (‘Solidarity’) was an independent Trade Union movement that started in the Gdansk shipyards and eventaullay led to a democratic revolution.The Czechs likewise have had a few issues with the Soviets particularly in 1968.For Czechoslovakia wiki ‘Dubcek’ and go from there.For Romania you need to google Caecescu.

increasing democratization in Union led to a weakening of the central government, and smaller parts of S.U asked for freedom.. leaving for Russia all depts(

now in Russia presidential, monocephal, type of government //

Democracy. free marked economy.

• Phil

I sure hope you are good looking. You are going to need looks to get through life with your intelligence and work ethic.