Incurable UTI...3 rounds of meds, 4 weeks...should I go to the ER???

I have had a UTI for about 4 weeks now. I am on my third course of antibiotic (1: Macrobid 200 mg 2: Macrobid 100 mg 3: Bactrim #14). I still have 4 of 10 days left of Bactrim, but my urgency has gotten REALLY bad the last two days. Literally, I feel like I REALLY have to pee RIGHT after peeing! Today, I've been a little itchy down there as well. Should I finish taking the Bactrim and wait it out, or should I go to the ER? Even though I'm on antibiotic, I'm afraid of the UTI spreading to my kidneys and harming the baby. I'm 15 weeks pregnant by the way and have had the UTI since I was 11 weeks.

My mother in law mentioned that my bladder may just be spasming because it's been irritated the last couple of weeks. Any truth to this?

Oh, and please don't tell me to take cranberry juice and I'll be fine. People, I live off cranberry juice, I drown myself drinking water, I don't take baths, I wear cotton panties, and I know how to wipe. I'm past the home remedy stage, trust me.

Favorite Answer

OH MY GOODNESS! :O You sound soooooo much like myself currently! :O Sorry I'm still in shock to your question! LOL

I'm almost 18 weeks along now, and also have been battling a UTI since I was around 9-10 weeks along. I've been on sooooo many rounds of antibiotics that I can't even remember the name of them all. I'm currently on a 10 day course of Amoxacilian and to be honest, one symptom is starting to improve. The symptom improving is where you feel you have to pee constantly, and nothing comes out! I've tried the home remedies as well, and obviously, like yourself no improvement. For myself, it actually started to get worse over the home remedy stage my OB tried me on.

However, the nurse at my OB's clinic said that one thing that may have to be done is where a cathater like tube be inserted in my bladder and an antibiotic type solution be put into my bladder over a series of treatments to try and 'knock it out' of me. I've had cath. and I don't look forward to it! I don't know about you, but they've found tuns of protein in my urine, and its been HIGLY concentrated as well. ( I currently have another issue but it's to do with dehydration stemed from Hyperemesis Gravidarum which likely doesn't help because of the severe vomiting has made my bladder muscles EXTREMELY weak.)

I hope you find out what helps to cure this! If you do, please let me know! LOL I will let you know if I find out as well! Best of luck!

I'm sorry- i know it is scary to have something wrong while pregnant. I don't think you need to go to the ER, but I would call a specialist (high risk OB) and get their opinion if you are not getting an adequate response from your regular OB. Lie on your left side, drink A LOT of water and get rest until you get more answers... if you do have a kidney infection, doing these things will reduce any possible stress on the pregnancy in the meantime. good luck, and best wishes for a healthy baby!!

So I have had a UTI throughout most of my pregnancy... I am now due any day! and finally infection free. If antibiotics aren't working I wonder why your doctor hasn't sent you for IV antibiotics. My 3rd infection ended up getting so bad that i got a kidney infection along with 5 kidney stones!!! and man do they hurt! i hear worse than labor!!! I'd go to the ER if you are worried and especially if al lthese meds just aren't working. I'm sure your baby is fine, mine was throughout all of this but you are important too mommy :) Good luck!!

Best to see your own doctor rather than whoever is in the ER.