Shortie asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Blue Mountain Lorikeet or Senegal?

I really like both birds, but the only problem is that there are no Senegals for sale or rescue in my area. There is however, a Scaly Breasted Lorikeet and a Blue Mountain Lorikeet that they pet store owner just brought back from a market this past weekend. There is no guarantee that she will be able to find a Senegal for me? I am fully aware of the diet needs of the Lories and the mess they make. I really like both, but don't know what to do. If you were me, which one one you get?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Both the Senegals and Lorikeets are great birds... picking between the two is a hard one! Most people want the "bigger" bird and would go with the Senegal... but Lories are a treasure! I got an Iris Lorikeet about 6 months ago... they are hard work... very messy, require daily cleaning, etc. But they are sooooo awesome. My little Jory entertains me non-stop, playing, tumbling, climbing, she doesn't bite, nuzzles into my hair or a blanket to cuddle, then up she goes on the run again. Even though she requires more work than my other pet birds... I would never trade her for anything!

I have only had Breeder Senegals, so I don't have any personal experience with Senegals as companion birds, but I have heard great stories about them... they seem to make great pets. However, if you are unable to find a baby Senegal, I think you would be happy with a Lorikeet... just remember.... they are ALWAYS on the go!!! There are literally like the Energizer Bunny!

Good luck to you! :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.