Shortie asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Blue Mountain Lorikeet or Senegal?

I really like both birds, but the only problem is that there are no Senegals for sale or rescue in my area. There is however, a Scaly Breasted Lorikeet and a Blue Mountain Lorikeet that they pet store owner just brought back from a market this past weekend. There is no guarantee that she will be able to find a Senegal for me? I am fully aware of the diet needs of the Lories and the mess they make. I really like both, but don't know what to do. If you were me, which one one you get?

Favorite Answer

Both the Senegals and Lorikeets are great birds... picking between the two is a hard one! Most people want the "bigger" bird and would go with the Senegal... but Lories are a treasure! I got an Iris Lorikeet about 6 months ago... they are hard work... very messy, require daily cleaning, etc. But they are sooooo awesome. My little Jory entertains me non-stop, playing, tumbling, climbing, she doesn't bite, nuzzles into my hair or a blanket to cuddle, then up she goes on the run again. Even though she requires more work than my other pet birds... I would never trade her for anything!

I have only had Breeder Senegals, so I don't have any personal experience with Senegals as companion birds, but I have heard great stories about them... they seem to make great pets. However, if you are unable to find a baby Senegal, I think you would be happy with a Lorikeet... just remember.... they are ALWAYS on the go!!! There are literally like the Energizer Bunny!

Good luck to you! :)