Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Please reply!!! I need help, my computer is running way slower than usual.?

I have dial up. I know that it is normally slow. My speed has always been 50.6 kbps. Now for a month or two my speed is sometimes 50.6, sometimes 38.4, it widely ranges. Even as low as 12.0!!! I ran a scan and it showed me to be virus free?? Also I keep getting kicked off line and have to dial back up? Is there any free downloads that will help my computer? If you have any advice at all Please reply.. Thanks so much!! :D

Favorite Answer

When I used to get online using dial-up, I'd have those kinds of problems no matter what condition Windows XP was in.

1. Do you have Call Waiting? If so, then anyone calling in while you're online will kick you off. You can DISABLE Call Waiting by adding "*70" to the dial-up number.

2. Downloads to help your speed? No, I highy discourage this because it usually ends up getting your computer infected with adware and spyware. Only other option is to upgrade to a broadband connection.

3. Varying/Decreasing connection speeds? As noted earlier, the solution is simply to cancel and try getting online again. Usually by the 3rd or 4th try, I'll get the desired speed the dial-up connection can offer.

I don't think that the computer is the issue here. I think that you need to talk to your ISP because it sounds like you are having problems connecting and they will have a solution. Also, the speed of dialup varies widely depending on demand so the speed variation is normal (there are also other factors that I won't discuss like the server you are contacting). I remember when I had AOL I would get kicked off line if they were in high demand at the time. The solution could be as simple as switching providers if your ISP cannot come up with a fix. In terms of downloads to help I'd try running a virus and spyware scan to see if they turn up anything because spyware will eat your internet since it will contact a tracking server and send packets of information. Webroot SpySweeper is a really good program, you do have to pay ($30) but it is worth it. It can be found at any BestBuy. I'd recommend using the trial first to see if it turns up anything.

(I have broadband now but I have friends who use PeoplePC and really like it. If you decide to switch I would recommend them.)

Using a registry cleaner can clean up your computer and then make your computer faster,Why?the reason is that there may be some regsitry errors and remnant,corrupt files and temp files in your computer to cause "computer slow".

Everytime you install and uninstall software on your computer and surfing online you create junk in the computer registry.over time, the registry can grow to enormous proportions, especially if the various programs you've installed do not do a good job of deleting and/or updating it's Registry entries.You need to scan and clean your computer with registry cleaner to make it fast.Good Regisry Cleaner will improve your computer and Internet performance dramatically!

There are some comparison and review of TOP 5 registry cleaners.

http://www.make-pc-fast.com/

You can download and scan your computer for free.

try going to tools>internet options>programs>manage addons>add ons that run without requiring permission and see how many programs are running, I would delete any that are not verified.

If you leave your computer running a lot reboot it every few hours.

If you have alot of pictures or files stored, save them to a disc pictures take up a lot of memory.

You can also purcase more ram at circuit city, best buy, or wal-mart, it has simple instructions to install and it will boost your speed majorly

Do a defrag, and disc clean up

What Windows program are you using ?? In Windows XP there are two programs you can run. The first is SCANDISC, and it will scan your disc to see if all is well. After that is finished doing its thing, run the DEFRAG program. It will show you what to do as it progresses. You can also add more memory if these two suggestions do not help. Another thing I have found in a computer that is left on all the time, is to occasionally reboot it.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>

*Disk Defragment*

Your computer or your internet connection? It looks like you just mean your internet connection... and it also looks like you're using a dial-up modem! Ouch!

I'm afraid you simply have to keep re-dialing.

I would really, really recommend getting some form of broadband connection. Cable, ADSL... anything!

call the phone company, they might offer you the slowest dsl plan for the same price, they also might fix your speed issue with the dial up.

• Look up overclocking your modem on the internet. I always got my 56k going twice as fast. It's editted under the program "regedit" which is on your computer.

Check http://www.pc-optimizer-pro.com

With pc optimizer pro you can safely clean, repair and optimize your computer.

It will help improve your system performance without expensive hardware upgrades.

Good luck!