Most remote and nicest place in Britain?

I was wondering where the most remote place in britain is.... ?

and also, where you personally think the best place in the UK is and why?

Thanks,

Chris

Favorite Answer

The most remote place in Britian depends upon your definition of "remote".

Amongst the prime contenders will be Cape Wrath, the Assynt Peninsula or the Island of Foula.

One of the nicest places in Britian is the village of Kirkmichael in Ayrshire or even its near-meighbour, Straiton.

• Aurora

The most remote part to the north is John O Groats in Scotland. It is beautiful and very interesting. When we were there we took a boat trip to the Orkney Isles and then a coach tour around Mainland the main island. It was really interesting and the driver gave us a running commentary on the people, the history, the lifestyle etc. It is a truly wonderful place with beautiful beaches.

Take a look at these links.

Inverie on the Knoydart Peninsula in the Scottish Highlands is on the mainland but has no access by road, one can only reach it on foot or by boat from Mallaig. The Old Forge pub is the remotest pub in Britain - as confirmed by The Guiness Book of Records.

There are many, remote places in Scotland, especially on the NW coast.

I found a place on the north west tip of Scotland called sandwood bay. It is a long long drive from the nearest city, Inverness and the closest thing to civilisation is a few sparse crofts about 6 miles away.

It took me and my girlfriend over an hour to cycle their from where we parked, over rugged terrain and down steep sand dunes, but it was worth while.

It has blue waters and pale gold sand. There is a column of rock that stands erect out of the blue sea at about 200ft high

It is soooo remote now and yet at one time it was a big harbour, with merchant ships. The wrecks of which are now said to be lost under the sands. There is a story about an old polish sailor who haunts the place to this day.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mountains/sandwood.htm

• carina

for remoteness I would vote for Durness, which is near Cape Wrath ... to get to it you have to drive along this incredible narrow single track road ... the whole area is just achingly beautiful ... if you're fit enough to go off walking you'd be spoilt for choice ... if you're not fit, you can get a ferry boat across the loch and a bus ride out to the lighthouse at Cape Wrath, or visit the Smoo Caves, or visit the Balnakiel craft village

there are many lovely places in the UK ... I'd vote Durham for the best cathedral ... Porthcurno in Cornwall for the loveliest bay with the whitest sand and bluest seas you can imagine ... and the Scilly Isles for sheer charm

To both I would agree with the above poster, the remote scottish isles like Skye, Egg and Rum.

It's nice to get some solitude sometimes when you live in the suburbs of the 2nd biggest, busiest city in England.

My favourite place is a beach at Croy near Culzean Castle.

After that I love to go down to my cousins in North Yorkshire.

St Govans Chapel at Bosherston, nr Pembroke.

My favourite place in Britain? I think that would have to be South Devon. so many pretty villages ....its haed to choose just one place.....though i do love Brixham.....brings back many childhood memeories!

i think the best place in the uk is south west scotland and dundrennan abbey in particular what a really lovely place thought provoking and beautiful

• kati

the isle of skye is quite remote and its absolutely wonderful. try it.