promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do people think Kansas City, Missouri is in Kansas?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because it is called "Kansas" City. But, there is a Kansas City, Kansas and a Kansas City, MO. KCMO is larger.

Another thing is KCK was originally named Wyandotte City but the name was changed in the 1900's. The county KCK is in is called Wyandotte County.

Furthermore, Kansas City was first called Westport. The town of Westport moved further away from the river though due to flooding. Eventually as KCMO got larger it encapsulated Westport and Westport was annexed by Kansas City.

Kansas was the name of an indian tribe from the area. The first person to live in Kansas City was a french fur trader named Chouteau.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Leah_W
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Because the name of the city is KANSAS City. It only makes logical sense to assume that KANSAS City is in Kansas. I think there is also some confusion because Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri are right next to each other on the boarder. They are practically the same city.

• 1 decade ago

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that it is called KANSAS City. Some of the city is in Kansas, just not all of it.

• 1 decade ago

It would be logical to think Kansas City is in Kansas, especially if you don't live in the area. It is pretty confusing to have a Kansas City in both Missouri and Kansas.

I think Kansas City, MO should change its name, and stop all the confusion... lol

Source(s): life, or something like it
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because Kansas City, Kansas is in Kansas I would guess.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because the metro area covers both states. The official city limits are in missouri, but the metro area is deffinately in kansas too.

• 1 decade ago

Probably the same reason that people would think that New York City is in the state of New York.

KC, KS and KC, MO are two legally different cities.

• 1 decade ago

People think Kansas City is in Kansas because they are Morons! Everyone in the world knows the only Kansas City that matters is in MISSOURI. I agree with George Carlin, we should put a huge fence around Kansas and move all violent criminals there, it isn't good for anything else.

• MOKS
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Why does Kelli Pinkler think Europe is a country?

• 1 decade ago

Because they went to public school.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.