Please help with potty advice?

My 17 month old daughter is giving me a run for my money!!! :D Every time I get her diaper on, she rips it off and asks, "bath?". I say no and bye bye bath. If she decides to keep the diaper on and has a poop, she'll tell me after. If she is having a poop and I catch her I can get her to finish on the toilet. This has been successful twice this week. I am looking how to get her to make the connection to tell me before she poops and how to get her to tell she's wet and recognize she's going to pee and to tell me that she has to go potty. I understand it's going to take a few weeks to a few months, but she is showing most of the signs she's ready to roll. Any advice on how I can get her to go would be wonderful! Thanks!

Yes she is advanced in other areas. She has vocab of about 200 words, can name about 20 animals, 10 letter of the alphabet, recognize the number 4, 5 and 10, knows about 5 shapes and can recognize situations like night night and byebye and hi and others. She knows action reaction with "ouchie" hot spots and she'll tell me what she would like to watch on tv, cartoons or pooh or ernie. She's got an AWESOME memory and isn't really smarter than any other kids, just more independant I think.

Favorite Answer

If she is independent, then you will love what I found on amazon. For my daughter I researched amazon for potty training products and found a safe stool with sides for the toilet. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

My daughter was also advanced and really wanted to do things on her own. This stool was well worth it and made all the difference in potty training my daughter.

Hope this helps.

I would not use diapers when you are trying to train. Use training pants, they allow the child to feel when she starts to wet better than a diaper which is designed to pull the moisture away from the skin. When you get her to do anything in the potty at all, even just the tail end of the "event" make a BIG deal out of it. have a special potty dance! Have other people help you celebrate, grandparents/siblings whatever. I also used to have a sheet of construction paper on the wall and each time they went to the potty they got to put a sticker on it. The only other piece of advise I have is to keep reminding her, every 45 minutes or so go have a potty-party. Hang in there, it's not easy but it will happen, sometime between now and her first Prom :)

Source(s): mother of three

Most children aren't ready to potty train until they are 2-3 years old. They cannot even control the muscles "down there" until this age. If I were you I would wait just a bit longer to even attempt to "train" her. Until then keep getting her acquainted with the toilet. Take her in with you while you use the restroom. Show her how to wipe and that using the toilet is nothing to be afraid of.

When she gets to the age that she is ready to train go cold turkey during the day. No diapers/pull-ups at all, only "big girl undies". Let her pick out underwear that features her favorite characters or colors. Get her involved as much as possible. Never punish a child for having an accident, rather praise her when she gets it right.

Good luck.

With all my kids I started at around 1 year old putting them on the potty about an hour after they ate or drank -- let them sit while we read a book -- if they did anything we did the happy dance and they got a treat. If they didn't -- no big deal. All of them except one decided on their own " no diapers mom" before they were 2. With my youngest I have started already -- she is 9 months old but gets quite excited if she makes on the potty. My second youngest was totally trained by 18 months -- on her terms -- the boys seemed to take longer except if we let them pee outside -- go figure lol

• Kitten

My DD was showing all signs that she was ready to roll, and even loved sitting on her potty with me, however I could not get her to understand the difference or the consept. The more I pushed, the more stressed she became, so I decided to let it go for a while, since she was beginning to dislike her potty period. At two she started preeschool, where she saw other kids going potty while her diaper was being changed. I was planning to go cold turkey and put undies on her in the spring time when it warmed up and she could run around in her undies. this month she came to me and requested to go on the potty to pee..............I thought it was a game, and low and behold........she peed and flushed the pee down the toilet. I thought it was a fluke, since I did not do any trainning with her, but it has been two weeks and all though we wear diaper still, she pees first thing in the morning, and when we come home from preeschool, so when she is with me we now wear pullups so it's easy for her to pull them up and down. I asked if she wanted to poop in the potty, and she said no, so I take it she is not ready. When it will get warm, I will take a weekend, take her shopping for undies and then it's cold turkey time.

Moral of the story, don't stress over it. If your child is not ready, she will be. It's not a race as to who will get potty trained sonner. All kids are different.

I would only suggest you take her to the bathroom when you go and explain to her what you are doing, inviting her to join you. I think that helped my dd allot with understanding the consept.

Best of Wishes to you.

Wow - 17months - that's pretty young! It sounds to me like she's well on her way toward being ready.. but perhaps because she started indicating she's ready to START training, you may be expecting her to be REALLY ready, when she's not.. Is she early with other areas of development? My daughter early with some developmental milestones, and starting showing signs of potty-readiness too. This was when she was about 24 months.. Fast forward, she's now 31 months, and while she's coming along, she still very much needs her pull-ups.. She makes it to the potty about half the time w/ a wet diaper..

I think what you've got on your hands is a waiting game. :)

Good luck!

it sounds like she likes the attention she is getting from the potty training. my suggestion would be to use informtion to motivate her to potty. my son was potty trained 100% by 2.5 years much later than your daughter but none the less. when she does use the potty make a huge deal abotu it and when u or anyone else does it make it a big deal to. when she does not use the pott don't disipline her but don't fuss. just clean up the mess and move on but do remind her that big girls who use the potty get to sing/dance or what ever you choose. if you get flusterd or mad or anything other than calm and indiffrent she will feed off of that and continue in the behavior their has to be a clear diffrence between your reaction when she uses the potty and when she doesn't. me i waited to train b/c 1 my son wasn't ready as early and 2 the longer you wait the less time it takes. i would also suggest you confirm with you pediatrition that she is in fact ready . just to be sure.

at the beginning congratulations on doing so properly along with your first!!! I actual have a 2 twelve months previous son and my father replaced into constantly telling me how he ought to have long been out of nappies, apparently we we are all dry by utilizing one-one and a nil.5. I caught to my weapons and potty experienced at 2yrs 4months and had no real issues. What i'm attempting to declare is you as a mom comprehend the properly suited time on your baby and because your no longer having any issues i actually do no longer think of you have harmed her or carried out something incorrect in any respect. As for night-time nappies, i in my view am going to pass away it a quick time till ninety% of morning nappies are dry. I constantly take my infant to the potty till now mattress and attempt to no longer provide him too plenty to drink after 6pm. Do the night-time once you're waiting and your daughter is waiting and properly carried out on the form you have made so a techniques.

maybe....but it sounds like she is just becoming aware of her functions....here is a Potty Training Readiness Quiz to help you determine if she is ready:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/pottytraining/l/bl_...

Source(s): Nanny