Searcher asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Alaskan Huskie purebred puppies - good pets?

My daughter really loves the looks of Alaskan Huskie dogs. She wants to get a purebred Huskie.

However, I have these concerns....

What about their temperament with kids and cats? We have a 9 year old as well as a 16 year old daughter. The 9 year old can get very hyper?

What are some drawbacks to them?

Do they bark a lot?

Can they "turn" on a person?

How possessive are they?

What are some defects in that species to watch out for?

What are the costs I can expect? We do not have a lot of money.

I'm looking for work and would not be home for several hours, how would they handle being alone?

Can they tolerate being outdoors in the hot and humid weather during the summer (we live in Michigan and it can get up to 100 degrees before humidity)

How well do they get along with cats?

• Best Answer

Alaskan Huskies are a mix breed for what some consider to be a better sled dog. Now as a Sibe owner I'm really biased and think Sibes are the best, but thats just me. Now lets move on to the draw backs on both breeds.

Both love to run and run fast.

They can NEVER be trusted off a leash. A Husky will flip you the paw while they are running in the opposite direction.

These are not breeds that will "turn" on their owner. But any breed will turn on anyone if they are abusing them.

They can tolerate your temperatures, but you will want to

provide them shelter and plenty of water in those temps. And you may want to keep them indoors on the really hot/humid days.

A LOT OF ENERGY!!!!! These are bred to work and they live to do their job. A tired husky is a happy husky! (really)

CATS..... Some can be raised to live with them, but these are breeds with a prey drive that is instinctive. I know many who have raised a dog with a cat, but they started as a puppy. This also goes with other small animals including small dogs.

They are not necissarily possessive unless it is something they covet.

They are escape artists. If you can look over it, plant grass under it, pour water through it, a Husky can get out of it.

Genetic issues that can come up with this breed are thyroid, juvenile cataracts, and sometimes hip dysplasia although I have only seen that with pet store dogs to be honest.

They are not constant barkers, but they will bark and howl and talk and even better talk back when they don't feel they are getting their way.

If you are reffering to a Siberian get the book Siberian Huskies for Dummies. It is a great book, I honestly don't know how many times I have read it and refered to it.

This is also a breed that does better as a pair, they are a pack breed and also consider their humans as part of their pack.

You may want to look into a rescue in your area if you are going to consider a Sibe. Cat friendly dogs do come into rescue and that would be better then getting a dog somewhere only to come home to find it's really not cat friendly, rescue will be able to tell you and test the dog to make sure that he or she is.

Another thing to consider is that since you haven't had a Sibe in the past start with a 2 to 4 year old. First with your work hours you aren't going to have to go through all the puppy destruction phases that go along with every puppy. More than likely your new pet will be housetrained, and they are past the rambunctious puppy phase and are really cool dogs. Sibes have an average life span of 14 to 16 years so a 2 to 4 year old still have many years of life to give, and they are just cool companions.

The next is cost.

A puppy from a reputable breeder with AKC papers will be between 700 and 950. Eye color and coat color does not affect the price with a reputable breeder even though you will see some unreputable breeders charging more for blue eyes, and grey or black and whites, and pure white isn't rare either like you might see in a classified ad.

Alaskans can get pricey with proven lines and I know a few people who race that have paid a few grand for an Alaskan and since you aren't planning on running say Race to the Sky or CanAm Crown you aren't going to be looking for proven lines coming from someone like Lance Mackey or Martin Busers dog yard.

Here are a few websites for you to check out:

http://shca.org/

http://www.siberescue.com/Breed_Info/BPersonality....

The second link gives you many of the different traits you will probably find in your Sibe. I see each one in every one of mine, except I haven't come home to the sofa pillows on the roof (and don't plan to either).

Source(s): Owner, exhibitor, musher and rescuer of Siberian Huskies.

A good option as a poster above me mentioned is to get a dog a little older and getting it through a reputable rescue organization. A dog through a rescue will usually run you about 300-400 and come with all shots and be fixed. if it is a puppy you are looking at the same price with shots but not fixed.

My wife just so happens to run Siberrescue Ontario up here

in Toronto and Iam sure if you were interested she could help to find you a reputable recue agency down in your area. If you want any further info feel free to contact me about it through e-mail.

We have a purebreed and a Husky Sheppard cross. Our husky is absolutely fine off leash, which I know is not the norm at all for the breed, the other one as someone mentioned will chuckle at you as you try to get hime back. However if they do get out they always are back in a few hours, heck back 20 years ago my Uncle let his out at 1 every night and he would be back on the steps every morning by 6. I have had them in my life for years so I am completely biased but they can also be some of the smartest dogs around.

Also if you get a dog that is not already absolutely ASAP get it fixed. Hope you find the dog you are looking for a the perfect companion for you.

Any dog can exhibit the behaviors you're looking for. It will probably cost you close to $1000 for the dog, PLUS expenses like getting them fixed. Since you don't have a lot of money, try a shelter dog, usually for a couple hundred dollars you can get a dog WITH shots, neutering, etc. Over 1/3 of the dogs in shelters are purebreds, and there are breed rescues if you have your heart set on them. No dog really handles 100 degrees well, since they don't sweat.

Given that your daughter is 16, in a year or two she won't be around, and the fashion accessory (the dog) won't be so important. Better to get a mutt that you can all relate to, one that needs a home, and won't need so much medical care (purebreds often have more issues).

Source(s): 4 yo pit mix from a shelter

Alaskan Huskies aren't purebred dogs. There is the Alaskan Malamute. There is the Siberian Husky. The Alaskan husky is a generic term for the mix between the two.

All three "breeds" do indeed have good temperaments. They were bred to pull sleds, therefore bred to listen to commands, bred to please their masters. However, they can be stubborn. It takes a long time for these dogs to "grow up." They may look like an adult, but they have the heart of a puppy and for years will have the attitude, stubborness, and carefree nature of one. They tend to howl, rather than bark. The LOVE human company, and don't like to be alone at all. No dog will "turn" on a person if it is raised with the proper balance of discipline and love. They don't make good guard dogs because they love everyone and will even let people play with their food. Like all purebred dogs, malamutes and huskies can have genetic defects, having to do with hips, elbows, etc.

Siberian huskies are the smallest of the three, but all three dogs eat a lot. Food, vet bills, etc, could get pretty expensive. When left alone, they get bored easily and have a tendency to howl and chew things up. All three are northern dogs, with the Malamute being the largest and fluffiest; none would do well being left outside in warm weather.

Also, they have a strong prey instinct. If raised with a cat from puppyhood (I used to have a Siberian husky/German shepherd mix who was best friends with all of my cats), they get along fine with cats they know. But they could view strange cats and other small animals (including little dogs) as food.

My advice...show your daughter all of the above. Tell her she can wait a few years before she gets a dog. I'm in college and plan to have a Malamute, but not until I'm on my own and can properly care for it.

Well, first off, they are Arctic sled dogs, bred to withstand harsh temperatures and pull sleds for many miles through snow. They are called Siberian Huskies, not Alaskan. I understand they are quite hardy and very high energy. They can run for miles if not in a fenced yard. But, they can be quite affectionate and friendly. I've never heard of them turning on a person, barking a lot or being possessive. If you get a puppy, it can be trained to respect cats. And, they should adapt well to whatever weather conditions you have. When left alone, you might want to get TWO dogs so they can keep one another company. Keep plenty of bones and chew toys around, lots of food, water and shelter and you should be okay. Remember, dogs of any breed, just like people, have a wide variety of personality types.

The dog will get along fine with your cats, I just answered your other question also.....just dont leave the new puppy out alone with the cats till a little older and you know they have all accepted each other...just keep socializing them all together it will be fine.

now the Huskey is a good dog for anyone, they can be a little hard headed at times, so you will need to be sure to train the dog right off the word get go...do not let the dog rule you, you are the boss of the house, but no yelling, hittiing the dog, dogs never forget this....

A Huskey can over fences really well, hope you have a good fence...but if probably trained, you will have no problem,.

leaving the new puppy alone, you will need to get a good size crate for house training anyway, when gone, put your new dog in the crate, when you arrive back home, right out of the crate asap.

and the cost of the Huskey is no where near a !,000.00 dollars trust me, unless is show prospect it will not cost you this much.

go to www.americankennelclub.com

research the breed from this site and make sure this breed is right for your life style.......now any dog can be left a lone for awhile, but not for long periods of time..especially a puppy, they cant hold their bladder or poo as long as a grown dog, but no dog should be left a lone for long periods of time.

the akc website, will refer you to alot of reputable breeders, and most will ship to you if none in your area...but akc has good reputable breeders referral in every state

click on dog breeds on left hand side of screen and then click on in alphabetical order and select H for Huskey and your set to go...then on the left hand side also it will say, breeders, click here and you can contact any of the breeders you like

Please be careful and do not buy from a Pet Store, they buy from puppy mills and these dogs are never healthy.

be sure you buy from a reputable breeder not a Backyard breeder or a puppy mill their dogs are never healthy.

if you have any questions on your breed, email me and I will get you some good breeders in your city to refer you to.

good luck on your new puppy

Breeder/show/handler 15 yrs