Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know of any good work-at-home jobs that are legit?

I work part time, and I am really looking for something to do from home on my days off to make a little extra money. I prefer data entry, but I am up for any suggestions!! (also -- what the pay might be??)

Favorite Answer

A home based "job" is not going to bring you a sufficient amount of income. You will only be paid minimum wage. Most companies don't feel they need to pay anyone more then that because their gas cost is eliminated. What people don't realize, what about your spouse? Do they still have to drive to work every day? Grocery shopping, outings, and things like that are still going to cost gas. If your married and you have a minimum waged job, pretty much your entire pay check will be going to your spouse's gas tank with the gas prices these days. Then you still have the normal bills you need to pay each month as well, food, utilities, mortgage (rent for most people). Think about how much money you spend in that alone? If you need more income, I don't see how a minimum wage home "job" is going to cut it then. If a minimum wage job is sufficient then email me and I can give you a referal to apply for a home job. I won't guarantee that you will get the job, I have no control over that. The compeititon is really high for home based jobs. Another reason why they pay such a low amount to work at home.

Survey's require a lot of time, and you won't make what they claim you will. A few friends of mine put a bunch of survey's sites to a test to see if they really work. Different sites such as Survey Savvy, Haris Poll Online, Greenfield Online, Opinion Outpost,Survey Spot

Buzzback, NPD Online, Lightspeed Panel,Your2Cents, Project Payday and many others. (14 a peice, different sites-do the math on how many we went through, including the ones you had to pay to get into.) We spent six months on these sites. They're not anything what people say they are. They are fun and you do receive free items. They're not "scams" but I just want you to know that there's more to them then what your being led to beleive. Yes they are easy to do, but very time consuming.

You can make some money, however the time required in doing survey's is more then you think when you add it all together. Plan on spending 8 to 10 hours a day and average out at minimum wage. Sometimes you will hit good surveys that will pay you a lot, but what's required to get that is a lot too. In calculating what you got paid and the time involved in these higher paying, still averages out to minimum wage, and usually less. It's a psychological thing because the time is spread out on these, so it doesn't seem to be long. But we did the documentations and figured the time vs money.

Here's how the survey's work. You have to spend aprox 10 to 15 minutes per each site to register. (this is non paid) Then you'll start receiving emails for surveys. Each survey you have to complete a 15 to 20 minute pre-qualifying survey. (you dont get paid for this) Then if you do qualify for a survey (which majority of the ones you don't qualify for. so you've wasted this 15 to 20 minutes and sometimes longer of non paid time.) Then if you don't qualify for one, they offer another and you have to do the same thing, and the same thing happens.) You waste approx 45 minutes to an hour until you finally qualify for a survey. You take a 30 to 45 minute survey and make under $10. Normally it's $1 to $3 a survey that they claim takes 15 minutes. That's not including the 15 minute prequalifying survey. So you've now spent thirty minutes and made $3. And the process between each of the survey sites is the same. So you can pretty much do the math. It averages out to be between $2 to $6 an hour. Sometimes you do come across a survey that will pay you $25 to $75 a survey.

Here's how they work. It could be a telephone survey or a internet survey. You get the prequalifying part of 10 to 20 minutes then if you qualify for it another 15 to 30 minute survey or a telephone survey about the product your about to try to see if you qualify to try it. Even though you took a 10 to 20 minute "prequalifying survey" that said you qualify for. When you qualify for it, they send you a product out to try for 7 to 10 days and you do some daily documentations on it. Depending on what the product is and the documentations it's usually 2 - 15 minutes (you got a free product to use around the house, this is a good part of it) after trying the product out you have to complete another survey that takes between 15 to 30 minutes to do. Now you do the calculations on that. You don't get as many of these types of survey's. They use the hype on getting paid $25 to $75 dollars for 15 minute surveys. (notice the plural in "surveys". What they don't tell you is that there is more then one survey involved in these. Now calculate from your prequalifying survey to the next pre-qualifying survey from the company carrying the product, to the trial and documentations, to the last survey on these products. Then you receive a check four weeks to six weeks later.

Another way to earn money on survey sites, is to refer people over to the sites. Some survey sites will give you a percentage on what the people you refer buy off the sites as they get a percentage back off of what they buy. It's about 1% or less. You either get a lot of points for this that when you reach a curtain amount of points you can exchange it for cash or prizes. (Cash amount is usually $30 before you can cash out- do the math on how many pre-qualifying surveys and the surveys you get, the time involved etc this is what it takes to earn the $30) Other survey sites you complete shorter surveys (5 to 15 minutes) and your entered into sweepsteaks or lottery things for prizes or money.

Okay, I'm starting to write a book. I can go on about all the other types of survey's available and what was in volved in that if you'd like me to elaberate on it.

If you really want to work from home, and want to make a sufficient amount of income, then I suggest you start your own home based business. There are many different kinds of home based businesses to get involved in. Child Daycare Centers, Catering, Scrap Booking, Telecommunications, Candle Making, Travel agents, Tax Preparations, Health etc. Most home based business cost under $500 to start. Depending on what you want to get involved in doing. Home based businesses have the same income opportunity as a tradition store front business like a shoe store, Subway etc. With a Home Based Business, you don't have all the over head expenses as you do with traditional businesses. Just about everything in your home, becomes a tax write off.

When you first start a business, their is no money made at first. You have to build it up. No matter what business you get involved in. The more effort you put into it and how hard your willing to work it, the faster you start making a sufficient amount of income. If you calculate the amount of hours you put into a regular job or a home "job" and the little you get paid, you would be better off starting a simple home based business, but make a lot more money and have more advantages.

In home based businesses, depending on which one you get involved in, it usually takes about 2 to 4 weeks to start making an average income. (about the same time frame as your first payroll period) Then as you keep working your business, 4 to 6 weeks to increase that income, and 3 to 6 months to be self sufficient. That is only if you put the time and effort into it. If you just say "I started a business" and don't put any time or the effort needed in your business, then you won't make an income.

Most people have full time jobs and run their business on the side. When their business reaches the income level they desire, they put their normal jobs down and continue with their business growing. Other's dive into it head first and tackle it and get it going faster. Either way, you have the same opportunity to make a sufficient amount of income.

I don't know what you enjoy doing, hobbies, interests etc, so I'm not sure which home based business to refer you over to. I can let you know what my husband and I have been involved in for over six years. For some more ideas you are more then welcome to take a look at my 360 page blog on home based business opportunities. There are over a half a dozen different ones to look at. I suggest you do what we did and partner up with a company that is already well established. Cost less to start and the income is the same as traditional business and you have less to worry about.

The business we chose to get involved in was more practical to us and something people used on a daily bases and wouldn't know what they would do without. We didn't have to worry about when money runs tight for them that they'd run to the nearest store and buy the items on sale, or have to cut back expenses and drop what I was providing some sort of service to make ends meet for them. We also wanted to make sure that they were registered with the BBB, who was involved with the company. They have also have been featured in several magazines like USA Today, Success, Fortune etc. Inc 500 also rated us the 22nd fastest growing company in our first five years. We are world wide with headquarters in in Farmington Hills Michigan, Carolina, Canada, Europe, Australia. So it's a pretty good sized organization to be involved in.

We partnered up with a 15 year old world wide company that offers services that people use every day and pay for anyway. Services like Local and Long distance telephone services, Internet, digital, video, VOIP, Satellite TV, and all the major cellular phone providers like Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Nextell, Alltel etc. as well.

How many people do you know, or know of around the world that uses one or more of these services? That's another reason why we chose this business because everyone uses one or more. It's a service that peo

2

Source(s): Fill Surveys Get Money - http://OnlineSurveys.iukiy.com/?xUoc

1. WelI I actually take surveys for cash. And yes they do pay as long as you know the good ones. I have some free survey sites that are very reliable just check out my profile by clicking my name or email me at annesurveys@hotmail.com for them. I only give sites that I've been paid by so you won't get scammed. They're all reliable and I've never had a problem with them. (I've been doing them for a year now) The best part is that anyone can do them and they're easy. You won't get rich but they definitely help with bills :)

2. Btw a lot of the ones above are spammers and I wouldn't trust them

If you are an accomplished typist - word processor and have recently visited your local city college or university librarian, you can apply as a "certified" graduate typist, earning between $1.50 to $2.00 per page for a master or doctoral thesis. The librarian will provide you with a sample of the typing template (i.e., margin settings, font selection, page set up, etc.) in order to complete these projects. An average weekend income is about $300-$400 for two days work.

Good luck!

I have joined an online work from home business that is free and open to people worldwide. It is also registered with the Better Business Bureau. It's not a get rich scheme either. I don't want to break any of the yahoo rules by posting it, so anybody that wants the website, feel free to contact me and you can check it out for yourself.

• If you are looking for a work from home business that already has a structure in place for you and tons of help then check out the link below. It's not a scam and it really works! This isn't for everybody in fact you may or may not be interested and that's ok you might know someone who is. so check it out.

www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/jayde27

I make the difference between "Work FROM Home" and "Work AT Home". I have been earning money performing mystery shopping, audits, and inspections away from home and then inputting the reports at home for several years.

Occasionally, some of this type of work can be done at home, such as phone and web audits but you will likely have to have done some of the out of home work before being offered it.

There are a lot of Companies out there trying to charge you for more information, but I DO NOT. I have given you a link below to my website and also my new Yahoo Group and is free and open to all. It is free information and advice because I may earn from referring you to Companies or from one of my sponsors you CHOOSE to click, but never from YOU.

Alternatively, I would happily do a free search for you if you can email me your City, State, and Zip Code.

Source(s): Yahoo Group: inspectioninsider Website: www.ewanid.com (Jobs and Contracts link)
  • hald a

You can try freelance writing, bookkeeping, software, transcription or customer service work at home jobs. These companies do not require any fee and pay well . List of companies(with websites) offering genuine work at home jobs is available at http://www.pcworkathome.net . Many of these companies have been in business for several years

I know a lot about this topic so please forgive the length of this reply. I have a lot of good info for you. I am a mother of two little girls who are actually tugging on my arm as I write this so I will try to be brief. Many people are looking for work from home companies. All the scams definitely create a big problem but also, there is a problem of people misunderstanding the difference between work from home "jobs" and work from home opportunities. There really are not work from home “jobs”. To get that you have to start working for a company in their offices first, then they MAY allow you to take the job home.

Most of the work from home opportunities that are legitimate offers are not an hourly pay type job. They are business opportunities that help you in starting your own business from your home.

What you should do first is to decide if you are simply looking for an hourly rate type job or if you are looking for more of an opportunity for additional income such as what you would make in your own business being your own boss from home. Many say a JOB stands for Just Over Broker and I have found that to be true as well. I never got anywhere working for others.

Small home businesses have some small costs involved, less then $500 to start is reasonable and I would stay away from those wanting $1000-$5000. It doesn’t cost that much to start and run a home business so you shouldn’t pay it. The real ones will have a small monthly overhead as well. Should be around $50 a month but no more then $75. And everything should be included from your web sites to training and team support to back office accounting and booking. It’s ok to pay this overhead because it’s a business, they cost money. It’s not reasonable to assume you can run a business from home with a website, accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, processing and more for free so do keep that in mind as you search.

If you are coming across places that say free then I would RUN don’t walk the other way! They never are. I tried them many a times and 3 weeks later I had to buy this and 6 weeks later that. After 6 months these “free businesses” had cost me over $800 on average.

I’m a stay at home mom of two little girls as I mentioned, ages 1 and 3. I work about 15-18 hours per week for a National Medical Benefits Company. This is a home business, a nationally known and reputable home business which is what you need to make sure you are looking for. I have been with the company almost a year now and I make over $3500 a month! In your first month, depending on how many hours you can work, I have seen people make anywhere from $500 to over $3000. And your income will increase each month because we get paid residual income as well. If I continue on as I am going at the end of the year I will be making $6000 a month. My friend Becky from South Carolina started 2 years before me and she is now making $102,000 a year with this company.

The best part is they have 401(k), direct deposit, life insurance and a benefits package most of which you get from day one. In addition, there are no products, no hard selling or pushing, no cold calling, no home parties and no telemarketing! That was VERY important to me.

I absolutely love working with them and I can't believe I am making what I am making and in so few hours per week. The neat thing is there are other people on your team that you work with so you are never alone. You have great team support and you get to know the other people on your team pretty well. The support is great but I have made wonderful friends as well. I think that’s important too, especially being at home!

I was a bit apprehensive at first because I know a lot of companies are not legit but this company is the number one National Medical Benefits Company in the US. They are a member of the US Chamber of Commerce, and the National Association of Dental Plans and the owner of the company actually sits on the board of The Consumer Health Alliance to which we are also members. Also they were featured in “The New York Times”, “Wall Street Journal” “Time Magazine” and the “American Medical Review”. Even “60 Minutes” with Morley Safer did a big special on this home based business.

Even more then all this is they are accepted at over 100,000 retailers nation wide. These are fortune 500 companies like Sears, Target, Walgreens, CVS, Wal-mart, Publix and more. These companies would never work with a company that was any thing less then reputable. That made me feel very good about working with them knowing they were accepted at these stores that I frequent. Also now of course being with them I get the dental and vision benefits for free and I saved over $150 on my last visit to the dentist! That’s just a beautiful perk! : - )

When I first started I just felt very safe with them, that and my friend was already making so much money with Ameriplan. But at this point I feel a sense of security financially that our family has never had before. That plus LOVING what you do? What could be better?

Check them out! Just type in www.workathomeplus.net in your web browser.

-Amy

This answer has been chosen as a “Best Answer” more then 14 times!

The best source I know of to make money / work from home is called project-payday. I myself made over 1.5k$ in my first month doing it.

I know people that make 3k there.

Another great thing is, that you don't have to invest much time in it, and still make money and you can work from home.

Check out: http://www.project-payday.info

Also check out this site to make money

http://www.makemoney4beginners.has.it

I made up some interesting things on this blog, that includes freelance sites where you can find data entry work also. Check out http://freeonlinemoneymakingideas.blogspot.com/

Good Luck

Jennie