Australian Cattle dog chewing through picket fence?

I have an Australian Cattle Dog that has found that if he chews on the board for about 45 seconds he can chew thru it and get out. He only does this when there are other dogs within sight in the neighborhood that are running loose or if there are people walking on the railroad tracks near the house. he is very determined and he will work at it until he free's himself from the yard. I have caught him in the act gave a harsh NO! but if he sees i have my back turned he is working at it again ... what else can i do? He doesnt like to be in the house he wont come in the house if you dont make him and i have a 2 year old i cant stand over top of him all day long I try to watch both of them very closely I have patched the holes he has chewed thru but he just finds another picket. I dont have very ,much money but I am in need of a cure for this before he gets hurt or stolen...

We have tried to engage him in activities such as fetch just more exercise but he has no interest... I have a great pyrenees as well and they are constantly playing but this chewing is only when he sees a stranger or a stray (at large) dog on the outside.

• Phil W
    Favorite Answer

Install an "invisible" fence in conjunction with your existing fence.

I have had the "invisible" type of fence for over 10 years now.

The "invisible" type of fence is not cruel like some people on this site will tell you. The shock that it gives is mild (and yes, I have been shocked by it). The shock value is immeasurable. The better type of fence systems collars also give a warn beep when the dog gets near the perimeter well before delivering a shock. With proper training the dog will learn quickly where it can and cannot go. Hence it won't get a shock. Most of the people who will tell you that they don't work are ignorant about the fences in the first place or they bought one (maybe a junk one like PetSafe and many others), slapped the collar on the dog and then booted him out the door without training him.

Sometimes a conventional fence is not an option. Either due to the cost of fencing a large piece of property or because some housing developments have restrictions on fences.

Sometimes a conventional fence will not contain your dog at all. He can go over it or under it.

If you are looking for an Invisible Fence brand fence you will have to contact a local dealer for a price to install it though I can almost guarantee it will be over $1000.00. If you wish to install it yourself (and it's pretty easy to do in 2 - 3 hours depending on the size of your property) it is available online (but not I/F brand).

The "invisible" type of fence consists of three things. First is the wire which is buried an inch or two into the ground. This wire defines the outer perimeter of the containment area. You can also block off areas (flowerbeds, pools etc) within the containment area. Some experimentation may be necessary in this. Second is the transmitter which is mounted to the wall indoors and connected to the fence wire, and third is the collar that the dog wears. The transmitter sends out an AM radio band signal that the collar will sense if your pet gets to close to the electronic field. The collar will then deliver a correction. Some of the better ones will give a warning beep prior to delivering a shock. Though it is a strong shock it will not harm the pet in any way. Small marker flags are placed along the inner edge of the field about 5 to 10 feet apart during the training period and removed (every other one) as the pet gets used to the fence.

Huskies are escape artists. We have 14 of them. The only thing that I have found that they can't go over or under is invisible type fencing. Some folks say that it doesn't work on Huskies. They don't know what they are talking about. You can't buy the cheap stuff, like what they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot or PetSmart etc. The best I have found is the Smart Dog 2100 by Innotek. You can find it on line at several sites, discounted for less than $170.00 with 1 collar. Extra collars are about $80.00. The kit has everything needed including 500' of wire and flags, enough to do a quarter acre. Expansion kits (500' of wire and flags) are available for $38.00 and will contain a bit more than an acre. The collars are rechargeable (unlike the "Invisible Fence" and most others where you have to buy the proprietary (one place to get it = expensive) batteries every 3 or so months), has battery backup for the transmitter, run through prevention, waterproof, etc. if you are in an area that has a lot of thunderstorms I would consider a lighting protection module ($50.00). Innotek now owns Invisible Fence brand. Be sure to use heat shrink type splices in the wire if needed. They are available at marine supply stores. Do not use the "weatherproof wire nuts" from Lowe's etc. They will not work for this application. Use an edger to dig the "trench" for the wire. The wire only has to be buried 1 or 2 inches down. The yard will “heal” within a few days normally.

The key is taking the time to train your pet. I have known of people to pay big money to install a fence, strap the collar on their dog and then complain that the fence is junk when the dog blows right through it. Also, you do not mention the breed of dog. Longhaired breeds require a longer contact probe on the collar (these are included with the system above). Training may take awhile, one of ours took 18 months (she was a bit stubborn) before we trusted her, most were pretty good in a month or so and we have one that it only took 3 days! The amazing thing is that we can take the collar off, put them on a leash and when we head towards the perimeter their brakes come on immediately! You can also block off areas of the yard that you don't want them in. When hurricane Isabelle came through we had no power for 3 weeks, the terrain was changed with all the fallen trees, and the underground wire for the fence was damaged and NONE of the kids even tried the fence. As I said earlier, the people who say that it doesn't work don't know what they are talking about. We have 14 Huskies (15 until we lost one over the summer due to medical reasons), all free to run around, contained in our 6 acre yard. And no I am not a dealer ..... just a satisfied customer with 14 hardheaded Huskies most of them rescued as adults. We can leave them outside unsupervised for hours with no problems. However, we do not leave them outside when we leave the house.

It will not keep other animals out including the neighbor’s brats. Neither will a 6 foot stockade fence ... this I learned when I lived elsewhere and was attacked by a neighbors dog in my backyard. As far as people being scared of dogs, well if a 15 to 20 foot barrier field isn't enough, neither would a chain link fence be. Besides, if the pet stays on your property who cares if they are unreasonably scared. As far as a dog running through ... well yes, that could happen, however, with proper training it is unlikely. Huskies have an extremely high prey drive. Where we live we have a lot of wildlife, large and small. The kids will line up along the edge of the field and watch the rabbits, geese, deer etc. They won't challenge the fence. The deer and geese have learned where the kids can and cannot go and will stay just outside "Husky country". Sometimes within 5 feet of the kids. As I said it does work. The key is training. That is the most important part of the installation of the fence.

Some people advocate the “wireless” type of fence. You have little control over the coverage area. The other problem with them is "dead" areas caused by obstructions to the signal by things in your walls, trees and such. Your dog WILL find these areas.

Others advocate tying a pet out “because “invisible” fences are so cruel!” Or “why do you want to electrocute your dog?”, however, think about what could your pet do if attacked by another animal while tied? Where is he going to go to get away? At least with an “invisible” fence or a conventional fence he has a decent chance of evading an attacker or fighting back.

Please note though ..... you MUST not leave your dog out 24/7 with the collar on. You MUST bring him in at night and remove the collar. If you do not remove the collar he WILL most likely develop sores were the probes contact the skin which can become infected quickly opening a whole new can of worms.

25 years of being owned by Siberian Huskies. I currently have 14 (soon to be 16) Huskies most of whom were rescued by us from people who didn’t know what they were getting into

Animal offerings are not able to "build a case". The dog hasn't been cited for attacking a human and seems to simply have one citation in opposition to it for attacking a canine. That is now not ample to get the dog out of the proprietor's condominium. Nevermind that, if the canine is thoroughly cared for - the canine can not be eliminated. Instead of trying to have the dogs eliminated and in all likelihood euthanized at a shelter - why now not are attempting to sit down and really speak with the owner about what is going on and how there's a likelihood the puppies is also removed from her care. At the moment, go get a bottle of sizzling sauce and a bottle of chilli peppers and go soak the backside of the fence with each. The dogs aren't going to like that very so much and it will probably deter them to discontinue.

If you don't have very much money do what I'm doing....Go to Lowe's and look in the fencing..there's something called garden fencing or something like that. It's 25 bucks for a 50 ft roll. You can roll it inside the picket fence to keep him from chewing through. They are herding dogs, and used to working...they get very bored if not stimulated properly, and will try to herd anything they see moving....try giving him a little more fun.

Just add in an electric fence to the current fencing situation. They have upgraded them, they now have ones with 2 foot warning sounds, and then start out at the lowest-heighest the closer they get to the ground line, and YOU pick the range of it all, it alerts you if there is a break or power outage, they have thought of it all. You must do some training with the dog for the first week you get it, comes with training directions....DONT skip that part!

This breed is a working dog - bred over time for skilled physical activity in high degree.

He is bored!!!

He needs long walk every day and obediece classes to give him something to achieve.

If you are too busy to give him what he needs,please find him a home where owner can and will do it.

I have had mid-back to waist length tresses most of my life.

if you do have money get a chainlink fence and make sure you pay tyhe extra to have the fence put into the grounfd weith cement because my dogs go at digging so ya. idk sorry cqant help much maby rein force it. there should be spray out there maby where you can spay and when dog taste it it taste nasty to him idk look that upi heard something about that befor

• Sounds like he needs a lot more exercise!

get a melttle feance

• Megan

HES BORED OUT OF HIS POOR LITTLE MIND. IF YOU CANT ENTERTAIN HIM, FIND HIM A NEW HOME.