Do you think its right for minors to practice firing guns? Do you think its safe to shoot a pellet gun first?

Just wondering because I am 14 and my parents agreed to let me learn how to use fire arms. I am using a pellet gun first to get used to it, today was my first time. Next after they are sure I can handle it I am going to practice with my dad's gun (its a .40 glock) , and after that my mom or dad might buy an m44 rifle from a surplus sports store, it will in a sense be mine because no one else will be practicing with it, then I will apply for a permit when I'm 18 or whatever the legal gun age is. Do you think its right for minors to practice using fire arms, or just to use them in general? Do you think its better to start off with pellet guns?

My dads a retired cop, and I'm no moron, he hides his gun, and only allows me to touch anything like a pellet or real gun when hes watching me, I'm not going ot go around shooting up the neighborhood or anything. My parents won't even let me load the pellet gun, my dad does it for me.

Yes my father's gun has a safety, and even when its not loaded I'm still not a fan of touching it. Heh, I should be more worried about my dad, sometimes he jokes around and he points the pellet and real thing at us even when its not loaded, which makes me uncomfortable. Another thing, whenever he loads it I always stand on the opposite side in case he accidentally pulls the trigger, and I never point it in any direction near someone, and I stand a few feet away from anyone when shooting.

Favorite Answer

I think all children should be taught gun safety. It could prevent a lot of accidents. A .22 or pellet gun works fine for beginners. The recoil of a .40 glock or similar handgun might be a shock for some beginners (especially children).

• tmin

Hey Zom

It doesn't matter if it is a pellet gun, BB gun or paint ball gun, there is a lot of responsibility that comes with it. Learning how to be a responsible gun owner has to start some where and with a gun, better it be a gun that you can't kill someone with by accident don't you think. Accident shootings happen in the home every day and some times the victims are children and they die. So yes I think learning to be a responsible gun owner while using a pellet gun is a good idea, if more fathers did that there might be lest accidental shootings in the home.

I don't no what state of country you live in, but in the US it depends on where you live that will dictate what age you have to be to own a real gun, let a-lone shoot one in the public shooting range.

Good luck and always keep the safety on until you are ready to pull the trigger, keep the target in front of you and your dad behind you.

Keep the Faith....PEACE....cya....

If your parents are with you it is fine, and there is nothing wrong with learning to use a gun the right way. At your age, a pellet gun is a fair beginning, but I wouldn't get into the real thing for another couple of years. You seem to understand that it is dangerous for someone to have and use a gun if they don't have the experience, and that a permit is needed, which requires a test by the state. I think that with the guidance of your parents, you are doing the right thing.

oh hell. My dad taught me how to properly use guns when I was about 7 years old. There isn't anything dangerous about the gun itself. Its all about the user. If you learn proper safety then its fine. I learned at a very young age and I've never had the urge to shoot someone else.

Just always treat the gun as though it were loaded, always point at the ground until you have your target, make sure to clear the chamber when you're done.

Learn proper respect and safety for your firearms and you'll be fine.

• helene

I think it's perfectly fine, especially if you're taking a gun-safety course. It is ignorance about firearms that leads to most of the trouble with them. People have the right to own firearms, and knowing how to use them effectively is just good common sense.

Your parents are putting a lot of trust in you. Do NOT make them regret it. If you show off or do something silly just ONCE with a gun, they'll probably come down on you like a ton of bricks, and you'll have to wait until you're 18 or living on your own to restart the whole practice thing.

• learn

convinced the in ordinary words time it turns right into a difficulty with police in case you shoot at houses cats canines automobiles or people lengthy as your capturing at a fence or aims at a fence placed plywood in the back of it will be sturdy yet in case you shoot at some thing defined above you will get into hardship with the regulation thats what makes firing bb guns and or pellet gun unlawful see you later as you shoot aims interior the backyard isn't a difficulty wish that helps LR

I'm 15 and my uncle let me shoot with his 9 mm on his shooting range a couple weeks ago. I don't like guns at all, but he convinced my mom that I should know the dangers and the power of such a weapon.

absolutly- as long as the minor is reponsible, it is fine

Hell, my dad taught me to shoot a BB gun when I was 5, an Airsoft gun when I was 9, and a real one at 11. I like to know I can protect myself

_______________________________________________

EDIT: and to the first poster, the fact that my mom has a gun saved my life during an armed robbery. As long as the gun owner is responsible, guns are good.

I do not think it's okay at all. Children should not be exposed to hand guns. I don't even buy toy guns for my son. Only police and such people like service men and women should carry guns. Too many people, especially children, have died by hand guns. Sometimes it's an accident but far too many times, it is not. Guns are very dangerous and if you're not trained properly, any situation can become chaotic. Please reconsider.