Good fantasy books similar to George R. R. Martin?

I've recently discovered Fantasy and I am looking for good reads.

I have read and liked:

Eragon by C. Paolini

The Miragemakers by Glenda Larke

The Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton

Harry Potter ( including Harry Potter fanfiction) and Lord of the Rings.

I'm looking for more stuff similar to Mirage Makers or A Song of Ice and Fire. Finished series preferred, I got too many unfinished series lying around already. And no waffling on for thousand pages about first creators, divine beings, spiritual journeys etc please. I started to read too much bad fantasy of that kind already and it really hurts my brain.

Thanks.

• ray s
    Favorite Answer

Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy

Raymond E Feist - Riftwar Saga

Stephen R. Donaldson - Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Two that I have recently taken on and believe to be close to the level of George R. R. Martin are:

R. Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing trilogy (loaded with philosophy and a bit hard to understand in places)

Steven Erikson - Tales of Malazon (tons of characters and magic, hard to get into at first for all the characters and factions)

Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe (not for a low level reader, hard to understand in places. The book is a puzzle. )

The Far-Seer Trilogy

The Live-Ship Traders Trilogy

The Tawny Man Trilogy

All by Robin Hobb

no longer something relatively as epic or as huge, yet here works have helped me with the wait: Tad Williams - reminiscence Sorry and Thorn Terry Brooks - The word and the Void Sara Douglas - Axis trilogy Stephen King - The dark Tower (to augment relish this examine The Stand and Salem's Lot before it; that'll save you busy for a on a similar time as)

I have answered this question so many times, I decided to dedicate a web site to answer this question. Here it is:

http://www.life-after-harry-potter.com

Included is a list of only the best sorcery fantasy books, grade reading level, a short review of each book along with a brief summary of adult content. There is also a "Readers' Choice" list of favorite books, and a list of heroine sorcery fantasy books, plus a full review of "The Golden Compass".

I hope this helps.

Jim, http://www.jimpettis.com/wheel/