What are the living conditions like in clark,philippines?

Cost of Living, Temperature, Accomodation cost for 2 people, etc

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I live in Balibago, Angeles City (near Clark), and I am establishing a locator business on base. I have been here for over one year now, and I can give you a basic rundown of your expenses.

I have a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment in Diamond Subdivision. The apt. is townhouse style, and is part of a ten-plex, which has two parallel five-unit buildings that share a secure, common courtyard. The complex is fairly quiet, and mostly ex-pats live here with their Filipina girlfriends. Three units are currently available for rent, if you are interested.

Anyway, the apt. rent is 10,000p per month. We pay between 2,500p to 7,000p for electricity, but we have an aircon that runs most of the time, a large refrigerator, TV, several computers, etc. Most of the people in our complex pay 1,500p - 2,500p for electricity. Cable runs 560p per month, including the sports and movie channels.

If you want a live-in maid for your apartment, 2,500p to 3,000p per month should be enough to get a decent one. If you buy a car and want a driver (highly recommended), expect to pay 6,000p to 10,000p per month for him to work for you, but to live elsewhere. Make him leave the car at your place when he goes home.

We pay 4,000p for Internet (2Mbps down/1Mbps up) through ComClark. You can get DSL service (384kbps+) for 799p-2,000p, depending on the provider.

Water runs about 160p per month for the unit, and we pay 50p per bottle for ten gallon bottles of water for drinking. We have a propane cooktop, and we buy a jar of propane about twice a year for 1,200p.

Our homeowner's association charges 200p per month for a car/bike pass, and 50p per month for trash collection.

We bought a motor-scooter several months ago for 36,000p and we spend about 100p once or twice per week to fill it with gas. A car will be more expensive. Keep in mind that gas prices here are presently about 45p - 50p per litre. That equates to about $4.50 per gallon of gas. A motorbike is a much more efficient means of local travel than a car, but drive carefully, because no one else does.

Entertainment and food expenses are up to you. We spend about 2,500p per week for groceries. If you eat out (food, not the girls), expect to pay 200p to 550p per person per meal. Clarkton Hotel has a decent buffet that runs about 320p for breakfast and 480p for dinner.

Beer costs 21p per bottle in the stores, and from 35p to 90p at the bars. If you take girls home, they should cost about 1,200p to 1,500p per night. Skip the cherry girls. They cost more, and they are not worth the money.

The girlie bars do not charge a cover, except for special events. Sky Trax (the disco) charges 100p to 200p on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, which includes your first two drinks.

As a foreigner, you will need to extend your visa. On your initial trip, you will pay 3,030p to extend your 21-day stay to 59 days. For each 60-day period after that, you will pay 4,040p. Don't be late on renewal, because you will pay 1,010 extra for that. You can renew your visa in Mabalacat on 7th Street. Ask any trike driver where is that.

You may convert prices by using 40p/$1 for average. Today, the rate is about 42/1, but that math is harder. The apartment rent of 10,000p is just under $250, for example.

Temperature is tropical. During the tourist months of January to June, it ranges from the high 70s to mid-90s, with some occassional precipitation. During the rainy season of July to December, temps drop some, but you put up with the rain.

You can live comfortably here for $1,000 - $1,200 per month. Keep in mind that the locals survive on $200 per month or less, in some cases. The prices quoted above are for living conditions that are similar to what you would expect in the USA (from whence I came). If you want to slum it, you can get apartments for 2,500p to 6,000p per month, but I wouldn't recommend stooping that low. You can spend a lot more, but it is not necessary to pay $500+ per month for an apartment or a house.

Some things to note: Condiments tend to be sweeter here than at home. Milk products are quite different than you might expect. You will have to adjust to some dietary changes, and television leaves a lot to be desired. If you have a friend at home with a fast Internet connection and cable/satellite service, buy a Slingbox and a good computer, so you can keep up with your American shows.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch. Good luck, and Mabuhay sa las Pilipinas!

Source(s): I live here. See profile.
  • biggar
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Philippines Living Conditions

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Okay. Go and read your question out loud to yourself. Think of it as what you might be reading, from someone else. Hear any theme? Now, make a list of all the positive things about this place.... Frisians. How about negatives? Crawly house. Nasty sounding even without the bugs. No consideration from the employer about you sleeping in your car. I suspect the health department wouldn't like knowing that people are being kept in an infested house. Working a very long day without better supervision and training than the other girl. Working with dangerous horses. Working with dangerous horses without a trainer to supervise, direct, and assist you or the horses. Who fed you dinner, by the way. If this was my situation, I'd leave. If you were my daughter, I'd help you leave. This is not a professional situation. This is not even palatable. If you put this on your resume, what are you going to say? You can't say you learned about training, handling, breeding, etc., since there isn't a qualified trainer to mentor you. It's a pointless waste of time. If the employer said it wasn't going to work out, he probably saw in your eyes and demeanor that you aren't a person who will tolerate the conditions at his place. He was right. And fortunately you are outta there. It's not NOT N--O--T anything to regret. The fact that he "let you go," might sting a little. It's nothing you did wrong. You said you don't like sleeping with bugs. Well, duh. Who the heck does? I'll bet he doesn't have those critters in his bedroom! You are going to find another situation. Check on the Fresian website (or any other breed website), and check the breeders or classifieds. Send emails and network the heck out of this... say what you are looking for, and ask if they are seeking such a person, or if they can possibly refer you to someone they might know. The horse world is a small one, and the internet makes it even smaller. You are correct in not repeating the name of the farm you had the problem with. Keep yourself professional, and find something else. Never never never settle for something that isn't appropriate. You know what is, and you need to always follow your heart and "gut instincts." Don't sell yourself short. Ever. You have done the right thing, in moving on. Now, keep going, and find that perfect place! I know you can!

• 1 decade ago

Clark is about 2-3 hours north of Manila.

Accomodation is very cheap by contrast to the US. A 2-3 bedroom house or condo will cost as little as $500/mth or you could get something absolutely spectacular for $1000.

Short term accomodation would start from about $30 a night up to $100 a night for luxurious.

Here are a couple of web sites for long term rentals - just look under Pampanga province. (either Clark or Angeles City - they are right next to each other).

Climate is tropical so it is warm (80-100degrees F) all year around. Clark has plenty of restaurant options ranging from 100p (aboutn $2.50) a meal upwards. The local beer (which is pretty good) can cost as little as $0.50 a bottle. Watch out for mosquitos. Medical insurance is a must but if you are working will be part of your package.

http://bahay.ph/ph/?category=House&caption=FOR%20R...

http://www.islandsproperties.com/rentals/houses.ht...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Sage provides some good information. As a long time resident of the Philippines with some 28 years of expat experience living and working in the Philippines, at Clark Air Base for six years back in the 1980s and later marrying a Filipina and purchasing a home in Manila and making frequent trips to Angeles from communicating with other western expats it is suggest for a couple to live a modest simple life a monthly income of $1,000.00 per month is required.

Beside your monthly rent, electric, TV Cale, water and garbage bill there are other expenses you need to be concerned with like dental and health coverage, monthly (every 59 days) Bureau of Immigration Visa fees, transportation and other related fees

Much can be learned from the collective thoughts and experiences of others with similar background. Y!A is a good method of obtain information, but membership on one of the Yahoo focused support groups that cater to western expats living in the Philippines I highly suggest you check out Living in the Philippines forum. Link is noted below. Now if you have a relationshipwith a Filipino, Mag Anak is a forum that focuses on vultural issues. Also many photos and videos can be found on my wifes and my web site at www.ricexpats.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.