Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why do people keep falsely asserting that we are "A Christian nation."?

The framers of the Constitution specifically created it so that ideas like this would not be considered true. We are a nation of political and religious freedom. The fact that most of the Founding Fathers checked "Christian" on the official forms matters very little... I'm technically a Catholic, and I go to church maybe once a year. I'm sure there were similar "Christians" among the Founding Fathers as well, and they surely didn't want anyone claiming we were any religion's nation. So please stop with those ridiculous claims unless you can somehow prove they were just joking about that whole First Amendment thing.

Okay, I'm aware of the fact that "most Americans self-identify as Christian" DUH! You guys that answered that way may have missed my point... sure, call it a Christian nation if you'd like, and you mean only in that sense and aren't using it to bolster any argument you make. However, the way that it is used, to justify political positions based on what your Bible says, is the specific reason the Founding Fathers created the 1st Amendment, so people in majority religions couldn't force their values on the rest of us

Best Answer

I don't know, but I wish they'd stop. In my opinion, Benjamin Franklin played the greatest role in the creation of America, and he was an atheist.

Well... because the majority of people living in this nation identify as christian/catholic. It's nothing to do with the constitution or official religion or anything.... it's just a fact that christians are the majority. If we had more jews, we'd be considered a jewish nation.... muslims... an islamic nation.... see what I'm saying here? The founding father's could've been buddhist.... it wouldn't matter... it's just a basis on the majority... we're considered and English speaking country--but we have no official language... it's all the same...

Many confuse a Christian nation with a nation or country that is predominately Christian. It's not always easy to seperate these two concepts because of the obvious influences of the Christian majority.

Side Note:

It is essential to know that no one has been ordained by God to high-jack God's heritage, as a matter of fact God is on record as hating those who attempt to be lords over God's heritage.

Developing "The doctrine of the Nicolaitanes" is over the top and unacceptable when it comes to this part of our Christian heritage.

Just what "Christian" belief is being forced down your throat or anyone else's? The government has went out of its way to force anything Christian out of anything it does. This country was founded, undeniably, on Judeo-Christian beliefs, however, the government has over-reacted in purging anything Christian from the public forum. This was NOT the intent of the founders. It was freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. And we certainly do NOT have a national religion which was the intent of the founders.

• S P

Though the Constitution was written by an all-Christian group, who held a lot Christian values and incorporated them into that document. That and the majority of Americans are Christian and the word god is used on the money and pledge.

I would also have to argue that the religion of the writers of a country's constitution matters a lot, if you think otherwise, you need more exposure to the world, or take a course in geopolitics.

If a country was founded by Christians, and was populated by a people predominately Christian, and had numerous Christian references in its government and culture, I would call that a Christian nation. Hence the old saying: "If It Looks Like A Duck And It Quacks Like A Duck..."

God does not give us free will. If thing are already destined to happen, for example predictions of doom in the future according the bible.. Where is the free will? There is none,.. Also what about the mentally ill? What does god say about that? Science has proven that without a healthy functioning brain, one is not able to make clear and conscience decisions? Since God knows all and created all, he is aware of these people born with the mental challenges to think for themselves. Religion is a very clever way to control the masses of people, Religion is man made. The very people who wrote the bible don't believe their own lies.

You're nit-picking. The original settlers left Europe and were Christians. As you point out, in polls taken today, the majority of people identify themselves as Christians, not secularists, atheists, or anything else. The phrase "Christian nation" is used to point out the majority of people identify their religion as Christian. It has nothing to do with legislation.

• ?

Because its their right to assert such a claim. I can call you a human being even though its not written anywhere that you are so does that mean you are not?

The USA has a predominant Christian population and most of its values and traditions revolve around Christianity thus making it a Christian nation. On paper were not but if you live here and see how we do things its obvious were Christian.

I've wondered the same thing and I have concluded it's because a Christion is what you must claim to be in this country to avoid religious persecution.

Legally, that's true. Thank Thomas Jefferson, who was a Deist.

Now, the cultural heritage of the United States IS indeed Christian, its Christian legacy being quite different than the Old World. Protestant sects, whether springing from Luther or before him, or from the Anglican church, were prevalent, and many of them had a marked consciousness of the Jewish roots of Christianity (thus the term Judeo-Christian).

When thinking of the Christian cultural heritage of the United States, one can compare the country to one like Turkey, which is officially a secular country, but is also undeniably Islamic in culture in its unique way.

The following is from www.usconstitution.net. Careful reading provides in-depth context for the intentions of the Founding Fathers; as you say, these intentions should remain intact and not be undermined by legalistic loopholes or the complaints of those who feel uncomfortable about such things as the Torah / Old Testament inscription on the Liberty Bell, which Jefferson liked just fine. Note especially how the Danbury incident parallels situations which arise today:

Thomas Jefferson was a man of deep religious conviction - his conviction was that religion was a very personal matter, one which the government had no business getting involved in.

As president, he discontinued the practice started by his predecessors George Washington and John Adams of proclaiming days of fasting and thanksgiving. He was a staunch believer in the separation of church and state.

Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. The Danbury Baptists were a *religious minority* in Connecticut, and they complained that in their state, the religious liberties they enjoyed were not seen as immutable rights, but as *privileges* granted by the legislature - as "favors granted."

Jefferson's reply did not address their concerns about problems with state establishment of religion - only of establishment on the *national level. The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

The letter was the subject of intense scrutiny by Jefferson, and he consulted a couple of New England politicians to assure that his words would not offend while still conveying his message: it was not the place of the Congress or the Executive to do anything that might be misconstrued as the establishment of religion.

Note: The bracketed section in the second paragraph was been blocked off for deletion in the final draft of the letter sent to the Danbury Baptists, though it was not actually deleted in his draft of the letter. It is included here for completeness. Reflecting upon his knowledge that the letter was far from a mere personal correspondence, Jefferson deleted the block, he noted in the margin, to avoid offending members of his party in the eastern states.

This is a transcript of the letter as stored online at the Library of Congress, and reflects Jefferson's spelling and punctuation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between *man & his god,* that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach *actions* only, and not *opinions,* I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make *no law respecting an establishment of religion,* or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced *he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.*

I *reciprocate your kind *prayers for the protection and blessing of the *common *Father and *creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, *assurances of my high *respect & *esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson

Jan.1.1802.

Significantly, Jefferson changed Locke's "life, liberty, and property" to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," by the way. These pursuits were, of course, not allowed to incur upon other people's rights. He was a champion of individualism and self-reliance.

..