Why do some writers go over a thesaurus to replace small words with bigger words?

I dont think that it is right.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Dave
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I would agree with you on that. When writing ficiton sometimes it is better to just say what you have to say via small words - rather than trying to be fancy with it.

However, sometimes a thesaurus is good for when you want to use a substitute for a word that has been used repeatedly. So if you find that you are using "glad" constantly - that might get tiring, so you might want to use something like "jubilant" instead to change it up.

• 1 decade ago

Wow, why is everyone so negative?

How about something pragmatic (hope that isn't too big of a word for you guys) - synonyms are not always identical in meaning. One of the beauties of the English language is that our words have different subtle meanings like "joy" to "elation" to "happiness". All similar, but all mean something just a little different.

Authors realize that there is a word out there that means exactly what they're feeling but the word they wrote doesn't quite express it.

Also, there's something to be said about retaliation against the overt dumbing down of society to the point that the use of so called "big words" is a sign of showing off or trying to seem smart as opposed to having the vocabulary of an educated adult.

• 1 decade ago

They think that using big words=being smart.

They couldn't be more mistaken. It's very easy to know the difference when a writer used big words because s/he knew how to use them from a writer who thesaurus-ed his/her story to seem smarter.

Plus big words doesn't always make the story better. I have read amazing books with simple writing, that were a lot better than books with this weird, complicated language.

• barbre
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I purely use a glossary to jog my reminiscence while my suggestions locks up and that i'm no longer able to think of of the word i decide for. each time you employ a glossary try to understand the chosen word before employing it. people who only use it to locate better, greater outstanding words, at the instant are not very stable writers to start with.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A. To avoid boring the sophisticated reader.

B. Because the right word is important to a good description.

Contrast and compare: 1. Billy was mad because his bike had been stolen. 2. Billy was irate that some degenerate had stolen his fifteen-speed velocipede.

Dai Alanye

http://alanye.com/

• name
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

it describes what there thinking more so the reader can under stand what they mean and it gets dreadfully boring to read the same old disruptive words though out a book

why do you think it right not?

• 1 decade ago

They don't want to be using the same word over and over again.

• 1 decade ago

A larger vocabulary may be compensating for a lack of general knowledge.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

to take up more space, sound smarter, and look better without repeating the same thing over and over again

• TheVet
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Insecurity... didn't you ask this question a few days ago?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.